Bufferz Zero

The Japanese WW2 fighter. This kit is virtually all metal and available from DeAgostini at http://www.model-space.com

Bufferz Zero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bufferz Zero

Postby bufferz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:30 pm

I fought and fought with myself over which to get, and the Zero won! Just subscribed today.....Dammit!! :D
In Progress: Endeavour, Zero, Yamato, Victory

Built: Orrery, Tellurian.
bufferz
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Bufferz Zero

Postby Julian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:37 pm

It sucks to be you, Bufferz :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If it's Not Broke, Take it apart and make it better

Timmy Mallet

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Julian
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Wot ? Me Jealous ?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steam60 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:49 am

Glad there is another Zero on the way,first tip get large magnifing glass to see those TINY screws :lol:
steam60
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Experten » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Another tip about those TEEENY screws, magnetize the screwdriver! It makes a HUGE difference!
Mark
The crazy Yank
Current builds: Altalya Citroen 2CV, Fabbri-Centauria LaFerrari, DeAgostini Shelby Mustang, DeAgostini Jaguar, Hachette Lancaster, (and one or two others)
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby bufferz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Cheers for the tips guys, im sure you will be getting mithered....never worked with metal before (Unless Meccano counts? :lol: ) Basically sat with the mrs and while i want to do all 3 of the Jap ones, she said she could see i really wanted to do the Zero, so do it, as although its pricey, its only the same overall cost as the SotS, and 6 months earlier too! Ive just got my CC payments set so the minimum payment is the £32 on direct debit, so in theory, i will never really see the debt as it will be straight out the bank! :dance:

bufferz
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Experten » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Working with the aluminum and white metal isn't really any different than plastic, the material is just harder. You'll need a good set of needle files though, as well as extra sandpaper. Depending on which paint option you go with, you'll need gallons of metal primer. I use the Tamiya clear primer. It goes on well, but make sure you use it in a well ventilated area! You'll also want to use a good CA glue. The best stuff I've found for the metal is LocTite 454.

The kit is absolutely fantastic! You'll have such a great time with it, you'll forget about the cost, and start thinking about getting another one!
Mark
The crazy Yank
Current builds: Altalya Citroen 2CV, Fabbri-Centauria LaFerrari, DeAgostini Shelby Mustang, DeAgostini Jaguar, Hachette Lancaster, (and one or two others)
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby morrigan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Experten wrote:

The kit is absolutely fantastic! You'll have such a great time with it, you'll forget about the cost, and start thinking about getting another one!

Don't tell the other half that Experten. I'm going to be in it for getting just one :lol:
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby bufferz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Yeah, im looking at aerosol sprays (not confident enough o use an airgun! :whistle: ) not decided yet if im gonna go for a half and half or not, cos the skeleton detail is gorgeous....

bufferz
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby steam60 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:17 am

I have been using car sprays from halfords for the primer (zinc grey) and from B and Q plasti kote spray cans (cost about £3) for the black,also lifecolor for the blue in a small airbrush,these spray well and the brush etc is easily cleaned in water,hope this helps regards
steam60
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby bufferz » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Yeah, never thought of halfrauds for the primer, ill buy some over the next month while im waiting for the plane.....28 days is a long time!! :angry-banghead:

bufferz
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:35 pm

I use Halfords White primer for everything. Brilliant stuff (and that's saying something as I really don't like high street chains !)
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bufferz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:38 pm

We are pleased to confirm that your next set of components will be despatched within 48 hours. You should receive these within 14 days.

Your next set-up instructions needed for your model's assembly are available to download. Please click on the following link and use your username and password previously supplied to access them.

bufferz
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby bufferz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:40 pm

Look what's arrived..... :text-banplz:

24 to go....

bufferz
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby bufferz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:03 am

Next pack arrived, much smaller though :cry: Starting the collection of "miscellaneous bits" ill need for it.... needle files - check, helping hands tool - check, magnifyer - check, just need the chemically stuff now!

Read the instructions for the 2 packs so far, i take it the ribs dont get sprayed with anything? Its just the blades and engine parts so far, or to the ribs need lacquering too? (Asking so I can work out how much primer/lacquer to order for it initially)

bufferz
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby morrigan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:59 pm

I think the ribs are personal choice, they can be bare metal or Aotake.
From what I've read so far, as WWII progressed, less and less Aotake was applied to the interior of Japanese aircraft, particularly for aircraft destined to be 'Kamikazes'
Order lots of paint, especially if airbrushing, you'll be surprised at how much you go through! And there's nothing worse than running out of paint when the shops are closed.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby bufferz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:04 am

thats the problem, i have no idea how much aotake im gonna need, looking at the model its the engine, and landing gear mainly, ordered 1 can of the mr metal primer for the props so far, as i dunno how far that will spread either! Black is black, so i can source that, it was wether the wings needed priming if they arent getting painted, as im looking at the half skeleton approach...!

bufferz
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Experten » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi,

I am re-painting my Zero for the umpteenth time. I was unhappy with my attempt to duplicate Aotake using Tamiya Transparent Green and Transparent blue. I have been using the Tamiya Primer. I switched to the LifeColor Aotake blue/green and ran into problems. The LifeColor orange peeled when applied over the Tamiya primer. I purchased some of the LifeColor primer, but have not had a chance to strip all my parts, and apply it.

Just a cautionary note!
Mark
The crazy Yank
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby morrigan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:33 am

Thanks for the heads up Experten, I'll stick to my preferred Mr Hobby Mr Metal primer even though I have to get it surface shipped here.
I was almost going to switch to the Tamiya spray since I can get it locally, but if it doesn't play nice with acrylics and its twice the price of the Mr Metal I get online, I'll put up with the sllooow surface shipping.
bufferz wrote:thats the problem, i have no idea how much aotake im gonna need, looking at the model its the engine, and landing gear mainly, ordered 1 can of the mr metal primer for the props so far, as i dunno how far that will spread either! Black is black, so i can source that, it was wether the wings needed priming if they arent getting painted, as im looking at the half skeleton approach...!

Buy two jars to begin with, when you start on the second jar, buy another 1 or 2 jars depending on how fast you used up jar no 1. Also check how often the shop restock its paint ranges. Some will keep their paint stands full, or just keep one brand well stocked and others will sit empty for ages before being re-stocked. If its a slow restock, buy every last jar they have or go online.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby chill » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Just been looking ahead on the Zero on the other website and theres some serious building and detail coming up.

I worry for you Zero Builders eye sight. :o
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Zero