Bye Bye Baby Boeing.

Tell us about your world tour and gastronomic delights !

Bye Bye Baby Boeing.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bye Bye Baby Boeing.

Postby morrigan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:50 am

After 47 years of 737's trundling up and down the country, the last one was retired from Air New Zealand's fleet recently.
The minute the date was announced for the final 737 service I promptly booked a ticket to secure one last ride on a Baby Boeing with the Koru on the tail. :(

Air NZ was one of the first airlines to introduce the 737-200 into service back in September 1968 after much political wrangling as the then government owned NAC (domestic) and TEAL (international) airlines firmly were told to Buy British! So when NAC looked at buying some jets to add capacity to the main domestic routes, the 737-200 was found to fit the bill despite political pressure to order BAC- 1-11's. After presenting many reams of paper showing that 3 737's could do the job of 4 1-11's as well as being able to handle the tricky Wellington Airport circuit, the green light was given.
Note: Like British Airways, Air New Zealand is an amalgamation of government owned domestic and overseas airlines.

ZK-NAC the first 737 into service.

The 737's were then dressed in a bright red and orange scheme:

With the merger into Air New Zealand in 1978, the first appearance of the famous 'Koru' on the tail:

and as they were best remembered, the teal scheme:

The final scheme was the bland 'Pacific Wave', the wave bits at the front were later removed:
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Bye Bye Baby Boeing.

Postby morrigan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:05 am

Ok enough history, onto the flight!

The last 737-300 ZK-NGI had a busy day prior to retirement with two round trips to Wellington and 1.5 trips to Chirstchurch.
Earlier in the day, a visit to the Airport lookout was made to watch ZK-NGI operate the last 737 service from Wellington:

HWMBO then dropped me off at the airport later in the day for my flight to Christchurch. He declined to join me, saying he was not spending an hour jammed in a metal can full of plane nuts! :laughing-rolling:

I retired to Air NZ's domestic lounge for a bite to eat and a glass or two of bubbles while waiting for NGI to return from Christchuch to fly one last time in Air NZ service back to Chirstchurch:

Getting ready to Go:
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby morrigan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:20 am

AS you could imagine, it was mostly aviation enthusiasts and Air NZ staff past and present on board this flight, with very few 'normal' pax aboard!.
One old dear on observing so many people swarming round the window with cameras, leaned over to her husband and asked in the loud tones of someone half deaf " are they the press dear?", the husbands equally loud reply had me imagining a David Attenbourgh style narration of proceedings: "No Dear, I think those are aircraft spotters. You see them quite a bit at airports you know" :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

A bus strolling past :lol:

Final call for the Teal tail:

The usual boarding call by frequent flyer status, seat etc were not made, a simple now boarding NZ557 to Christchurch followed by "Final Call".

Welcomed aboard by the Captain:

Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby morrigan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:36 am

So let the flying party commence!!

Purser dancing along to the safety video, don't see that everyday!
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOh7z69uQw-OErNOXGyQsggthGB_jMpz3SiTF9g

full safety video here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji65WI5QLZI

Last Takeoff from Auckland
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM8PhgIBs5EH0YMZGA_4XGe0fA5wzzaOyBTQHxy

Normally unless its between 5-7pm on a weekday, alcohol is not served on domestic flights. not tonight!
Cupcake and a plastic of Vino:

And more bubbles to Toast the 737 once descent was commenced: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby morrigan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:41 am

On landing there was for once no stampede to get off the plane!

Very much an interiors of the late 90's!

Front Office:

Farewell little friend :cry:
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Return to The Food and Travel Club