Figures for the Millennium Falcon

Will you be wanting to add figures to your Millennium Falcon?

Yes (But I'm going to wait to see what Deagostini offers in the way of figures)
50%
Yes (Building mine from Scratch)
8%
Yes (Modifying off the shelf figures)
8%
No
33%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes : 12

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby royjess » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Will you be adding some figures to your Millennium Falcon?

DeAgostini far has said that they have no plans to supply any figures to go with the Falcon.

It is possible that at a later date, that they may introduce another 20 supplementary issues containing figurines and plaque. However if figurines were supplied, will these be done to the same scale as the Falcon and will they have all the characters that you require?

Will you be wanting to add figures to your Falcon?
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Re: Figures for the Millennium Falcon

Postby royjess » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Han Solo And Chewbacca

I've been looking into figures on sale that will fit the Falcon. The two closest that I been looking at are the Star Wars Battle Packs Unleashed and the Star Wars Command.

ImageFFTMF Thur 19 Feb 15 1 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

ImageFFTMF Thur 19 Feb 15 2 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

The Unleashed are already coloured but are a tad too big and don't look right in the cockpit.

The command are closer to the correct size but will require painting. Either way they all will need modifying. These are about 8mm too tall, but in the sitting position, these are then only 4mm too tall.

The command pack I went for that contains both Han and Chewbacca is the Millennium Falcon set (Currently from Argos Half Price http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/se ... ommand.htm). This set also contains R2 D2, Darth Vader, Snow troopers and a Luke Skywalker (Hoth outfit). Other sets contain other characters but none seem to contain Princess Leia, Luke (Dantooine outfit), Ben Kenobie or C3P0.

Here are the command and unleashed figures side by side.

ImageFFTMF Thur 19 Feb 15 3 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

First thing that I had to do was to cut off the guns and stand and then dip the figures into boiling water to re-position the limbs. Immediately these were run under cold water to set hard. I also had to use a Dremel to sand the side of the upper legs and bottom to ensure these fitted into the seats. I also cut off the lower legs to fit better under the control panel.

ImageFFTMF Thur 19 Feb 15 4 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

Here are the figures test fitted.

ImageFFTMF Thur 19 Feb 15 5 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

I'll need to sand any rough edges and paint these. I might also need to apply a little bit of filler in places. I hope that the primer sticks to the plastic as the plastic content seem to have a high oil content, however, the paint should stick as the Luke and Vader figures have painted light sabers.
Last edited by royjess on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:50 pm

I've been considering what figures I'll be needing :think:

Mos Eisley = Ben*, Luke*, C3P0*, R2D2, Han, Chewbacca, (Stormtroopers or Sandtroopers)
Death Star = Ben* or Leia* (depending on landing or taking off), Luke*, C3P0*, R2D2, Han, Chewbacca (Darth Vader and Stormtroopers)
Hoth = Han, Leia*, Chewbacca, C3P0*, (Darth Vader and Snowtroopers)
Bespin = Leia*, C3P0*, Chewbacca, R2D2, Lando*, Luke (depending if landing or taking off)
Return of the Jedi = Lando* Nien Nunb*

* = Not available in Star Wars Command set so Major modifying of another figure required to transform info require character
In brackets if doing a diorama

Stormtroopers are available in the Command Epic Assault set and Sandtroopers are available in the Command Sandtrooper Strike set.

No I won't be recreating all the above dioramas :lol:

Well I might ;)

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:14 pm

Han and Chewbacca continued...

I woke up this morning to find that Han's and Chebacca's limbs returned to there original positions :angry-banghead:

So I took the drastic decision of cutting off all the limbs where I wanted them to be re-position and glued them back in place. I even cut off Chewbacca's head :o and re-positioned that.

I must get some green stuff and lillyput to fill in any gaps where the limbs join.

ImageFFTMF Fri 20 Feb 15 1 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

ImageFFTMF Fri 20 Feb 15 2 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:51 pm

To be honest I think these figures are to big and will be trying to adapt figures closer to 1/43rd even if they have nothing to do with star wars like wargamer or other soldier figures.
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks R2D2.

Personally I think that the figures are a tad on the big size for the cockpit, but not for the front seats, however they are definitely too big for the rear seats.

I have tried out some 1:43 scale figures in the seat to see how they would look and personally I feel that they are now a tad too small for both the front and rear seats. In these photos, the heads of the 1:43 figures are well below the top edge of the seats.

ImageFFTMF Tue 24 Feb 15 1 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

However the 1:43 figures look like they are the right size for the cockpit. So does this mean that the seats are too big?

Take a closer look at the rear seats, and the 1:43 figures are now a tad too narrow for the seats and the arm rest are a tad too high.

ImageFFTMF Tue 24 Feb 15 2 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

Comparing the 1:43 figures against the Star Wars command figures shows there is a variety of sizes and even some of the command figures are very close to the 1:43 figures. When I was purchasing some O gauge figures, I was surprised to see that they came in a variety of sizes ranging from 35mm high right through to 70mm high (1:50 scale & 1:43 scale). I made sure I purchased the 1:43 scale 40mm to 45mm high figures. I suppose it's a bit like using HO scale with OO scale.

ImageFFTMF Tue 24 Feb 15 3 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

Here is a photo with one of each size figures sitting in the cockpit at the same time. It shows a slight different in sizes can take up different volumes.

ImageFFTMF Tue 24 Feb 15 4 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

So what are my options :think: Do I keep with the command figures? I'm very impressed with the detailing and likeness to the actual characters, however these do appear a tad too big, or do I go for the 1:43 figures which appear to be a tad too small? :think: Either way, these will need modifying with the use of green stuff.

I'm not sure if when you build the Falcon if you actually glue the cockpit permanently. I personally would like to have access to the cockpit to change the figures as well as to replace any LED bulbs in the future as required. Something I'll have to look at when it comes to building the Falcon.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi royjess! Seems quite a problem here! I know that in real life people can vary in hight and width but its difficult to find figures to fit the seats in the Millenium! Luckely I know a friend who owns a toy collectable shop and he has a vast collection of different scale and sized figures! Im going to have to get a selection and try them in the cockpit seats before modifying them! He also has some very very tiny wargamer figures (including tiny little dragons) that could be used on the circular chess board in the main room! Seems this is going to be an odd scale to fit figures in anyway!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:58 pm

I personally think that the seats are a tad too big for the scale model, but then bear in mind that this is not a scale model, but a 1:1 movie prop.

The 32" version was suppose to be a stunt model doing all the special maneuvers required for The Empire Strikes Back film. So this is why it is not very detailed as the same as the 5Ft one. So scale wasn't taken into consideration for this one.

But are we building a movie prop replica? I believe that the original prop did not have removable panels to expose the interior. Considering that DeAgostini claims that this is the most detailed model of the MF ever produced, how can it be with the lack of detailing of the original 5ft?

As for the figures, Jess and I both agree that the command figures look better in the cockpit for size compared to the 1:43 scale.

I again decided to work my Dremel on the command figures and sanded off more of the figures bottoms. I decided if this was real life, the seats and bottoms would be soft and there would be a little give when sat down. In other words, we would sink a little into the seats. It wasn't much that I sanded off, but it has made a big difference and they now look like a better fit.

The figures are currently a block colour making them look bigger than what they really are. I think once I've added Citade green green stuff to fill in any joints and then paint the figures, they should look quiet good.

ImageFFTMF Thur 26 Feb 15 1 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

ImageFFTMF Thur 26 Feb 15 2 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

What do you think? I think I'm getting there.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:58 pm

Looking at the figures you've used they are very close to size! I might still look further for some figures of my own! Meanwhile here is a good shot of the seats and crew! Leia is I know shorter than Luke but her eyes look as though they are in line with the back of the seat!
Attachments
Falcon20Cockpit a.JPG
Falcon20Cockpit a.JPG (63.97 KiB) Viewed 20476 times
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:36 pm

Thanks R2D2

I've study quiet a lot of the photos and as you've mentioned, Princess Leia is shorter than Han. In the photo the rear seats sit higher than those of the pilots, but on the model, the front pilot seats are higher and wider than should be. If you want to model any figures to sit in the rear seats, then these will have to be made from some smaller figures.

The other reason for me to use the command figures, I've the option of having Darth Vader and Storm, Sand or Snow Troopers if I decide to go for a diorama.

I've looked into various Star Wars command figures and sets.

So far I've the

Millennium Falcon set which contains various figures including, Han, Chewbacca, Luke (I wouldn't bother with this figure) R2D2, Darth Vader and snowtroopers.

Epic assault set which contains Stormtroopers and Ezra Bridger which I may convert using Green Stuff into a Luke Skywalker. This also contains a female figure where I will swap the heads around and possibly turn this one into a Leia.

I've also a Command Sandtrooper set.

I'm also looking at some of the other command sets to convert some figures into a Ben Kenobi and a C3PO.

My only concern with these figures is to see if paint will adhere to this type of plastic.

I will post up dates on this thread as I make and paint the figures and I won't be stopping at Han and Chewy :D

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:48 pm

A K for your figures Roy :clap: :)
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby R2D2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:55 pm

I think that your command figures are going to be the closest so far especialy if your able to get the other cast members as well! On another point! Have you got issues 7 and 8 yet the main crew room? If so what do you think of them! I have got both and I personaly think the floors could have been better moulded and will modify the grilled sections on them! Will also be fitting fibre optic lighting to the main control center.
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:28 pm

For the purist, I think I would use the 1:43 scale figures and bulk them up a bit and add detail by using the Milliput or Green Stuff and then make a couple of smaller size pilot seats. It looks like I'm sticking with the command figures, I think I'll just get away with using them :whistle:

As a subscriber, I'm still waiting for issue 6 to 9 which should be here soon. It looks like us subscribers are going to be a month behind :angry-banghead:

I going to wait for all instructions and then decide if any improvement is required. Adding fiber optics should be quiet easy and effective and I'm considering it, but waiting to see how the parts go together first.

Are you also aware that the cockpit windows are inaccurate? The bottom front edge of the windows are in line with the side windows, but the side window should be higher than the front windows. It be a mod I'll be considering once the glass arrive.

Roy :D

ps..Thank you Casper

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:02 pm

Today I've used the Citade Green stuff for the very first time. I filled in any joins and added detail and gave Chewy a new arm.

ImageFFTMF Fri 27 Feb 15 1 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

ImageFFTMF Fri 27 Feb 15 2 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

I even tried my hand at converting Ezra Bridger from the Epic Assault command set into a Luke Skywalker.

ImageFFTMF Fri 27 Feb 15 3 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

ImageFFTMF Fri 27 Feb 15 4 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

I'm going to let everything set and then tidy them up before painting.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:47 pm

Not to bad so far! Will wait to see painted versions!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:59 pm

I've been studying some photos of those rear navigation seats and it looks like the ones that we are supplied with are too small and are the wrong proportion :think: Maybe a modification job here and then my figures should fit these as well.

Here is my attempt of making Leia (Hoth outfit), Ben and C3PO. Not a great attempt, so now worries about getting sued for copyright them :lol:

Just need the green stuff to set and I'll tidy these up and hopefully they will look better once painted :pray: The figures I modify were from the epic assault command set.

ImageFFTMF Sun 1 March 15 1 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

ImageFFTMF Sun 1 March 15 2 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

ImageFFTMF Sun 1 March 15 3 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

All I'm now waiting for is the next issues to see if these fit nicely on the rest of the ships seating :pray:

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Good luck with your figures! Im going to my friends shop tomorrow to sort out some figures for myself! I dont know if I told anyone but he owns and runs a toy collectable shop and has a huge collection of toy soldiers of all types and scales! Im even going to see if he has any really tiny figures for the games table! If anyone is interested in collecting toys etc he has a web site so here is his shop details! http://www.ramcollectibletoys.co.uk
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby R2D2 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:09 am

Had a brainstorm last night! There is one place you can get 1/43rd scale figures! O gauge people! These are 1/43rd and come in a variety of poses! Bought some on ebay to convert! Just waiting for them to arive!
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (15.78 KiB) Viewed 20334 times
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Those look like the same figures that I purchase off ebay, except that mine were unpainted. I paid around £2.50 for mine including p&p. To be honest, I think that we need something in-between the O gauge figures and the ones that I'm currently testing out. By the time that you add Milliput to yours, these might be the right size.

The interior seating is a bit low to the ground. However when you check out the image of this link, I notice that C3PO legs do not hang off the seating, but are stretched out and Chewy legs are crunched up to his chest. Looks like the original film set seating were also low to the ground :lol:

https://blahmovies.files.wordpress.com/ ... erior1.jpg

I tested both O gauge figure and my DIY C3PO figures on the seat and it seams like both figures fit for different reasons. As for the lower half of the body and legs, my C3PO figure seams to fit better. But the O gauge figure looks tiny in that seat, but even the head of the O gauge figure sits too high above the rear seating. The table sits around chest high on the O gauge figure but belly high on C3PO.

ImageFFTMF Wed 4 March 15 1 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

Personally I won't be gluing any of my figures in place, maybe use blue tack. This will allow me to swap figures around and if at a later date DeAgo changes there mind (or another company) brings out a set of figures, I then have the options to change them.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:22 pm

I to will not be glueing mine but I will have to wait till mine arive before working out the mods!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Next

Return to General discussions