Figures for the Millennium Falcon

Will you be wanting to add figures to your Millennium Falcon?

Yes (But I'm going to wait to see what Deagostini offers in the way of figures)
50%
Yes (Building mine from Scratch)
8%
Yes (Modifying off the shelf figures)
8%
No
33%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes : 12

Re: Figures for the Millennium Falcon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby R2D2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:23 pm

Right! Managed to get a 1/43rd scale Porsche with aprox the right type of seats! Here's a pic with 1/43rd figure in place!
Attachments
IMGA0313.JPG
IMGA0313.JPG (34.77 KiB) Viewed 9694 times
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby R2D2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Seats taken out to check size next to original Millenium seat!
Attachments
IMGA0314.JPG
IMGA0314.JPG (27.49 KiB) Viewed 9694 times
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby R2D2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:28 pm

Seats cut out and trimmed with rear folding part glued! Millenium seat looks much bigger beside it! I think the figure looks better in the Porsche seat!
Attachments
IMGA0317.JPG
IMGA0317.JPG (26.19 KiB) Viewed 9694 times
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby R2D2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:31 pm

Porsche seats painted with undercoat and temp fitted in Millenium Falcon! Could anyone please coment if they think this is better? I would much appreciate coments!
Attachments
IMGA0319.JPG
IMGA0319.JPG (39.1 KiB) Viewed 9694 times
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mustang » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:43 pm

They look a lot better then the original ones, good find on them.

Once there painted and finished they be perfect, just need to look at the rear seats.
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Postby R2D2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:52 pm

Not to sure about the rear seats! Yes they are a bit bigger but then they were bigger in the real Millenium as they were aircraft seats which have more framework than the front seats! I might leave them as they are allthough the arm rests could be lowered slightly which I might do!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi R2D2,

I personally think the Porsche seats look like the better size, its a shame that the original seats supplied are this size. I personally would wait until you mod your figures before you fit these just in-case. Are you planning to add a layer of modeling putty to the O gauge figures, as this might bulk them up a bit and then the original seats might be the better fit. What I have notice with my O gauge figures, it appears that the seated figures are slightly smaller than the standing ones.

I've myself am also considering at a later date trying to convert my O gauge figures or scratch build some as another option.

Mustang wrote:They look a lot better then the original ones, good find on them.

Once there painted and finished they be perfect, just need to look at the rear seats.

I've purchase 3 of these navigation seats, one for the main hall. These are suppose to be the correct proportion and are slightly bigger than the original.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/26CR5P ... d=55961597

I've also purchase quiet a few of the upgrades from this site including the grilled flooring.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits? ... +DeAgo&s=0
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi there! A great site for added detail bits! I presume these are to fit the 1/43rd Deagostini Millenium? If so I will definitly be buying some bits!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:16 pm

That's correct, they are designed for the partwork we are building. I've mine on order and will let you know what they are like when arrive. Could be a week or two. I probable avoid using super glue on these just in-case. These do require painting. I've order another issue that contain the flooring so I can modify that one without damaging the one I've got just in-case.

These upgrades could end up costing just as much as the build itself :lol:

I'm sure more products will be added as the issues come out and the build goes along.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:23 pm

I will be trying to mod as much as I can myself however some of these parts are quite nice so I might buy the odd one now and then!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:54 pm

I'm still thinking which is the best route to go with the size figures. :think:

Here are some photos, the first is a photo I've taken of a paused video of the original 32" prop as used in the films. Han Solo has been painted with darker skin colour to represent Hans in the ROTJ.

ImageFFTMF Sun 8 March 15 1 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

And here are what mine look like in comparison (my figures currently have a coat of primer waiting to be painted) :think:

ImageFFTMF Sun 8 March 15 2 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

ImageFFTMF Sun 8 March 15 3 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

ImageFFTMF Sun 8 March 15 4 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:16 pm

Your figures look very good royjess! Where did you get them! Are they a better fit than 1/43rd figures?
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:52 pm

Hi R2D2, I don't know your proper name?

I take it you are a big Star Wars fan?

The figures that you see are the command figures that I've been using. Yes they are a tad too big, but I've modified them and sanded a fair bit off their bottoms to fit. Go back to the beginning of this thread to see how I've manage to make these fit. Like I've said before, we really need something in-between the two scales. Again it is personal preference what size you would like to use. I think what ever size people we use, they not going to fit in all areas of the model with out either looking too small or too large due to the slight variant of scales used in various part of the model. Once my Navigation seat upgrades arrive, I'll should get a better idea on the true scale.

When you stand these figures side by side, there really not much difference between the height, just the normal variants than you normally get between different size people. However the command figures seem to have more volume to them.

Here is a reminder of my earlier post.

royjess wrote:Han Solo And Chewbacca

I've been looking into figures on sale that will fit the Falcon. The two closest that I been looking at are the Star Wars Battle Packs Unleashed and the Star Wars Command.

ImageFFTMF Thur 19 Feb 15 1 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

ImageFFTMF Thur 19 Feb 15 2 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

The Unleashed are already coloured but are a tad too big and don't look right in the cockpit.

The command are closer to the correct size but will require painting. Either way they all will need modifying. These are about 8mm too tall, but in the sitting position, these are then only 4mm too tall.

The command pack I went for that contains both Han and Chewbacca is the Millennium Falcon set (Currently from Argos Half Price http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/se ... ommand.htm). This set also contains R2 D2, Darth Vader, Snow troopers and a Luke Skywalker (Hoth outfit). Other sets contain other characters but none seem to contain Princess Leia, Luke (Dantooine outfit), Ben Kenobie or C3P0.

Here are the command and unleashed figures side by side.

ImageFFTMF Thur 19 Feb 15 3 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

First thing that I had to do was to cut off the guns and stand and then dip the figures into boiling water to re-position the limbs. Immediately these were run under cold water to set hard. I also had to use a Dremel to sand the side of the upper legs and bottom to ensure these fitted into the seats. I also cut off the lower legs to fit better under the control panel.

ImageFFTMF Thur 19 Feb 15 4 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

Here are the figures test fitted.

ImageFFTMF Thur 19 Feb 15 5 by Roy Lee, on Flickr

I'll need to sand any rough edges and paint these. I might also need to apply a little bit of filler in places. I hope that the primer sticks to the plastic as the plastic content seem to have a high oil content, however, the paint should stick as the Luke and Vader figures have painted light sabers.

Roy (Jess is my wife's name ;) )

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:29 pm

Hi there Roy! Im actualy called John! Your figures do look good although slightly large but as you sugested can be modified! Might buy the set just for the R2D2, CP30, and Chewbaca figures! These might just be the right size if bases are cut off!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:07 am

Hi John.

The Millennium Falcon command set contains Han, Chewy, R2D2, Luke (Hoth outfit) and various other figures, but no C3PO.

I made my C3PO, Luke and Ben from figures from the Epic Assault command set.

If you are good at making figures, then you could build some from scratch possibly using the Das modeling clay.

Roy

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby remrafian » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:13 am

I wouldn't recommend das modelling clay for miniature construction past a 4 year old making a snail!

Kneadatite (better known as green stuff is the best for this job. I use a 50/50 mix kneadatite/milliput for a slightly softer, more maluable clay.

Links to some of my sculpts;

http://itswickedfun2.freeforums.net/thr ... set?page=1

http://itswickedfun2.freeforums.net/thr ... allows-set

Has anyone looked at the star wars miniatures from Wizards of the Coast? They're about 30 mm and may be worth a look before trying to sculpt.
Last edited by remrafian on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remrafian
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby R2D2 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi all! Ive never been any good at figure modeling from scratch! I can do a bit of moding though so need to get made figures as a bassis!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi John.

These might come in handy to carve clay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12pc-Wax-Soap ... 339c413a3c

Here are the sizes of each actor/character for anyone who would like to work out the individual sizes.

Han 5ft 10"
Chewy 7ft 1"
Luke 5ft 7"
Liea 5ft 1"
C3PO 5ft 9"
R2 D2 3ft 1"
Ben Kenobi 5ft 10"
Darth Vader 6ft 6"
Stormtrooper average height 6ft

There are plenty of photos inside the DeAgo issues for reference. I'm still trying to work out the scale. The 1/72 fines mold model is 457mm long and the DeAgo is 808mm long.

What I can see with the scale inside the main hall of the Falcon, the dimensions in depth and wide are very much in line with the scale. But the height of chairs and tunnel seams smaller than what they should. However the height of the Dejarik table seems the correct height. In the photos I've study, the top edge of the table should be in line with C3PO tummy and R2D2 top octagon shape on his front. The table is in line with the 1.43 figures chest/chin, but the right height for my C3PO. My R2 is about 4mm too tall as the table top is in line with the bottom octagon shape just below the first.

Personally, I think Baby-astons is correct in saying we are looking at the scale being around 1:33. I also believe Mark is correct and personally I believe that a real scale down film set is too tall to fit inside the true scale model. This is where the height measurements of the interior had to be compromise. The scale difference probable is not all that noticeably in a smaller model. But because we are building a bigger model, the scale difference is more noticeable. Personally I think it is all going to be down to personal taste and how much the accuracy of the scale is important. To me it's a bit like comparing OO gauge to HO guage. Both are difference scale, but both run on the same scale track. For the purist, they would go for the more accurate HO scale running on finescale track. For me to try and get the actual scale figures, the difference is so little (4mm), even if I get the correct size figures, it won't make a difference due to the fact the inside measurements are shorter than what they should be.

For time being I've decided to stick with my own figures unless DeAgo or some after market figures be come available.

I also have an idea for the figures on the Dejarik table :think: This would be very easily achieved if you house the Falcon inside a glass display case. Could we use the peppers ghost principle :think:

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:33 pm

I think Im going to stick with my 1/43rd figures for now unless Deagostini release a set at the end of the run! As Ive said in my earlier rant and rave in the "other improvments for the Falcon" thread Im happy with the model and as long as the figures are close to scale Im happy!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:47 pm

R2D2 wrote:I think Im going to stick with my 1/43rd figures for now unless Deagostini release a set at the end of the run! As Ive said in my earlier rant and rave in the "other improvments for the Falcon" thread Im happy with the model and as long as the figures are close to scale Im happy!

I'm fully with you on that John. I personally think the figures that you plan to use against mine, yes they may be a bit of a difference between the two, but not much between what I think the actual size should be and either size will compliment the Falcon nicely. :D

Don't forget to post your finish figures when done. I would like to see them.

I'm quiet busy planking the Pearl at the moment, so all my other list of things to do including painting my figures are currently on hold. But I'll soon post them on here once they have been painted. :D

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

PreviousNext

Return to General discussions