Wing nut Wing’s 1/32 Lancaster

News about new releases and kit reviews

Re: Wing nut Wing’s 1/32 Lancaster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 pm

Those renders are fantastic and I can only pick out one thing that's wrong, but once released, I am sure that Eduard will put a cockpit set out that will correct that.

HKM have the Mk1 almost ready for release - should be later this month and there are plans for more :D . I should be getting one of each, but I might just go and treat myself to this and do a comparison.

It is a shame that both kits will invariably be compared to each other and the rivet counters will be out in force to point out any and all incorrect detail on both kits or one more than the other depending on their favourite vendor!

As we know, both companies have spent a very long time putting these kits of what must be the most iconic (certainly in the UK) WWII bomber and it has cost each company a lot of money in research, design, cads, moulds etc. Wingnut have not given a time to market I think.... just 2019.

Let's enjoy the fact that we are getting these big iconic aircraft!

As the rivet counters start warming up, let's just remember that there are no survivors of this special variant (464 Provisioning) and I am not sure that ALL the changes to the aircraft were logged.

These will help thise who choose to get a Lancaster , either standard or special

https://haynes.com/en-gb/microsites/lancaster/dam-busters-details.htm

https://haynes.com/en-gb/microsites/lancaster/lancaster-manual-details.htm

If course, I have my own collection of service manuals and blueprints!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby casper » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:15 am

Wow amazing.....it’s massive :o
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:30 am

Indeed, Casper! They are huge kits and take some building, never mind the display space.

HK Models have actually considered this in their design. The wings on their B-17 kits are designed to be removeable clip-in-place where it makes it easy for storage and transport and this has been carried over to the Lancaster.

Also, HKM have the option of fitting a special bracket into the bomb bay which allows you to mount it to a wall and turns a model into a piece of wall art! The bracket comes as part of the B17 kits but I am not sure yet if this has been carried over to the Lancaster.

Now, the Lanc and B-17 are very similar in size, with the B17 having a longer fuselage more defensive armament and less bomb load than the Lancaster, but both aircraft were used differently.

When the Americans first came to the UK, a B-17 pilot was given a tour of a Lancaster, being told of its 22,000lb bomb load capacity and seeing the size of the bay said,

"Jeez! It's a flying bomb bay!"

It took around 4 B-17's to carry the same weight of bombs!

I am not sure of the final look of both kits, as I've only seen late cads and test shot of HKM's offering and prints of what could be Wingnut wings' overall look, but those could be stuff done for Peter Jackson's supposed remake.

Still, I am sure that there is room in the market for both kits and a shame they will be compared as both will stand alone on merit!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Graham » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Free time hobbies are taking pre-orders https://freetimehobbies.com/1-32-hk-mod ... f25f706bdb
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message - but a lot of electrons got aggitated.
Graham
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby chill » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Wonder if wingnuts will be in the same price band
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:38 am

What you have to consider when it comes to pricing is that you have to apply the exchange rate to get our money and then posting (or shipping) to get a price.

Then compare it to Pocketbond who are, at this moment, the official importer of HKM who have set a RRP of £399.99 for the Lancaster.

This has really upset HKM. They have had to alter their trade price to get Pocketbond to do that price which was to be £499.99.

Pocketbond have a reputation as being greedy which means that kits here in this country are more expensive than anywhere else.

This is why most of my kits are bought offshore through eBay and I usually save at least £10 on the purchase and that includes shipping.

My plea is for those who want this kit is to purchase in Germany or at the link in the post above. You are supporting HKM and, even with shipping, saving money and getting this iconic aircraft at a fair price.

I do believe in supporting the companies who produce stunning kits and I am always willing to pay a fair and reasonable price. What I do hate is companies who deliberately overcharge to line their pockets.

Those going to Telford can see the Lanc on HKM stand!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Free time Hobbies are in the US. You’ll hav3 to add VAT and the post offices ridiculous handling charge.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:28 pm

If you ask freetime to kindly put a price of £15 and declared a gift then it goes through :D

From Europe vendors at this moment there is no issue and it just sails through!

Even with import, vat etc, it is still going to be cheaper than pocketbond's ridiculous RRP!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:58 am

Wingnut Wings are going to bring out a nose section of the Lanc. This is inspired! I haven’t got space for a full aircraft, but would buy this in a flash.

https://www.facebook.com/45017622172100 ... 207484821/
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chill » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:04 pm

thats inspired.

Woulds make a loverly desk display at work or home
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby number1 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Having seen them both at Telford today its hard to make a judgement as to which would be the best, their both fantastic, but be warned, you'll need to have a big shelf!
Their HUGE!!
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Model previews and reviews