1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe - A build diary

Any other car partwork series.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby greyhawk » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:28 pm

Currently only available in Germany and Austria, the 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe model is a 100 issue part work published by Eaglemoss.

The 56 cm long and 22 cm wide model features a fully pre-lacquered, metal exterior with plastic and metal interior, including the famed spaceframe chassis.

Other notable features:
- steering wheel folds away as in the original
- steering wheel turns front tyres
- functional gull wing doors, bonnet and boot
- headlights and brake lights are controlled from their appropriate switches/pedals in the cockpit

The part work is accompanied by a magazine containing the building instructions, history of the 300SL, history of motor sports, driver profiles and a preview of the next parts.

With the limited availability I considered there might be interest in a build diary, which I aim to update once per week.

I have taken out a subscription, so that update frequency is largely determined by how good the distributer is working and if the postal workers here in Germany decide to get back to work some day again this year.

I know next to nothing about cars and will be translating part names from German, so please make me aware if I use names that don't make any sense. It's a learning experience after all. I may or may not also mix up diverse versions of English. I apologize for that.

This will be an OOB build, I don't have any experience with this medium (having only built pure plastic cars for 4 months or so) and I'm not going to experiment with this one.

I have already built issues 1 and 2 before starting this diary, so I will only be showing end results and leftover parts for these (yes, it IS an Eaglemoss build :dance: )

Issue 3 arrived in severly pre-damaged condition to the point of being unbuildable (Eaglemoss! :evil:). I am currently waiting for a replacement issue. Building and the diary will resume once either replacement issue 3 or the next parts arrive.

EDIT: I am aware of the iffy picture quality. I will be redoing these in better lighting conditions.
Last edited by greyhawk on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Building:
HMS Victory | HMS Victory X-Section | Schlachtschiff Bismarck
Citroen 2CV | Lamborghini Countach
Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger | Grumman F14-D Super Tomcat
JNR Class D51 | Bayerische S 3/6
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe - A build diary

Postby greyhawk » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:29 pm

Issue 1 - Bonnet and radiator grille

Issue 1 comes with a beautyfully lacquered zinc bonnet, an iron "supporting rod" of dubious purpose, the chromed radiator grille (ABS), a photo etch grid for the grille, and 7+3 M1,5 x 3mm screws.

The quality of the lacquer is just stunning. It's smooth like velvet. :romance-inlove:

The grille is another matter altogether. While the chromed front looks perfect, the sides are disturbingly wonky (Eaglemoss! :evil:). From forum reports this is an issue that plaques all delivered grilles. I expect this won't be seen once installed. If it is, I'm going to strip the chrome and fix it with AlClad.

The actual build encompasses inserting the rod into brackets on the backside of the bonnet (... :shifty: ) and screwing the grid to the grille with 7 of the screws.
Also me running my hands all over the silky smooth skin of the bonnet. (... :shifty:)
Eaglemoss seems to supply a lot of extra screws here, on the other hand there are still some unfilled holes (... :shifty: )

Last edited by greyhawk on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby greyhawk » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Running out of night time here, so issue 2 will be featured tomorrow.
Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Manoverboard » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi GH !
Looks like an interesting "project" I shall follow with interest.
Cheers Kim.
Necessity is the mother of invention, but still keep your powder dry
Manoverboard
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:05 pm

The finest Mercedes ever made will be watching this build welljell :mrgreen: Shame about the grille ,glad you got a solution to the problem.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby greyhawk » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:55 pm

Issue 2 - Left front tyre

We get the left front tyre (PVC), left front rim (zinc), brake drum (ABS), a support plate (ABS) with brake line (PVC) and the hub cap (ABS). We also get 2+1 2,3x4 mm screws and a small magnetized philips head screwdriver.

The rim is again beautifully lacquered and HEAVY. The rim with tyre and brake drum weighs 160 gram alone.

Everything is beautyfully detailed including the brake drum even though it's essentially invisible after installation. (You're going to see this part with the next tyre delivery).

Building instructions call for us to warm up the tyre in hot water then slip it over the rim taking special care to not break off the very tiny tyre valve.

The brake drum is then screwed into the rim.

The Hub cap and support plate with brake line are set aside for later steps.

Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby greyhawk » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:04 pm

Also I apologize for the lack of OXO cubes, but we don't have those here. :crying-yellow:

BIG EDIT:

Replacement issue 3 arrived and it is an absolute beauty.

This time we get the instrument panel, a decorative inlay for the instrument panel, steering wheel, steering column, speedometer/rev counter, and the controls for windscreen wipers and indicators. All of this but the steering wheel is ABS. The wheel is.... lots of stuff, you'll see.

Looking at actually building stuff, all we have to do today is screw the decorative inlay to the instrument panel. One needs to take especial care not to try and get too tight a fit, as the inlay material is very flimsy and likely prone to break should you introduce too much force. If the inlay does not fit or only under severe pressure, get it replaced. Also you absolutely do not want to touch the 300 SL decal on the inlay. It rubs off and breaks apart easily as was the case with the first delivery of this issue. I think I'm gonna try and protect this part with clear lacquer if it should be out during much of the building process. For now, everthing goes back into the blisters.

One interesting thing to note is the steering wheel. Its outer shell is made out of some spongy material that kinda feels like a real steering wheel. Very nice. The horn depresses realistically and last but not least, the whole thing can be folded away for easier access for the driver just like in the original.

Last edited by greyhawk on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby greyhawk » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:37 pm

Still waiting for replacement of issue 3 (Eaglemoss! :evil:), but issues 4 to 7 arrived in the mean time.

So I'm going ahead with issue 4 and update the post above when 3 gets here.

With issue 4 we get the first parts of the engine.

From left to right in the first row: the left side of the engine block and the injection pump
In the second row: gear wheel cover, a bracket, injection pump drive shaft and bearing support
Third row: the fuel pump and 3 sets of pressure pipes

All parts but the engine block (which is zinc) are ABS.

We also get a bunch of screws of course and pair of tweezers the less said about the better.

The fuel pump is screwed to the injection pump

which is then fitted to the engine block. Note the teensy tiny Bosch logo in the full view of the picture
below (click to enlarge).

Afte adding another bracket with dubious purpose in the upper left the injection pump drive assembly is installed.

Last the pressure pipes are snapped into place. Note the bad paint job on the lower part of the pipes (Eaglemoss! :evil:). The black rubbed right off the parts during installation. I have since repainted these in semi matte black.

Also some of the upper pipe connectors were pre-bent wrong, so they wouldn't be sitting straight out from the engine (Eaglemoss! :evil:). I have since spot welded these with some CA glue into the correct position.

Next time: the bumper? Eaglemoss! :evil:
Last edited by greyhawk on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Eagle36 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Thank you for posting photos and writing in English Greyhawk; I am a subscriber too and will be following your posts with great interest.
Eagle36
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby greyhawk » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:07 pm

Eagle36 wrote:Thank you for posting photos and writing in English Greyhawk; I am a subscriber too and will be following your posts with great interest.

Do you get these by proxy? If so, I hope whoever is handling this is a patient man willing to deal with the replacements that might prove necessary. So far it looks like this model will have DB5 style problems. (Eaglemoss :evil:)

Short overview:
- Issue 3 was received unbuildable, with some parts being shoddily pre-glued in the wrong angle, making placement of other parts impossible. I could correct this, but there are also bubble holes in the paint job of another part AND a quarter of a pre-applied decal is missing. So I'm getting this one replaced.
- In Issue 4 I had to redo the flaky paint job and fix the placement of the pipe connectors because again those were pre-glued in the wrong angle to the pipes in two cases
- I just spent half an hour carefully attacking the bumper in issue 5 with toilet paper, because there were two fingerprints in grey paint on the chrome. These luckily went off without the chome being destroyed. Also the instructions in issue 5 consistently advice you to use the wrong screws.
- Two parts in issue 7 have severe mold lines and one has scratches in the paint job, so these will have to be stripped, sanded and re-painted.
Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby baby_astons » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:23 pm

thats life greyhawk, there is always work to be done - no matter which partworks car you buy, in 1:8 scale anything will show up, the merc is just the same average "base" for a fine rebuild...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby greyhawk » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:19 am

baby_astons wrote:thats life greyhawk, there is always work to be done - no matter which partworks car you buy, in 1:8 scale anything will show up, the merc is just the same average "base" for a fine rebuild...

Yeah, I may be overly critical. I'm likely just spoiled by the impressive quality DeAgostini is delivering for the D51. :D
Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby greyhawk » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:38 pm

Replacement issue 3 has arrived and the placeholder post was updated

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=6629&p=126076#p126076
Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby R2D2 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:10 pm

Hi there! Im building the Deagostini Lamborghini Contach! It looks like ( apart from your coment on the grill ) that this model is going to be as good as the Lambo! Looking at the parts so far in your build they seem to be of very good quality and detailing. Good luck in your build!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby greyhawk » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:36 pm

I've been following your build, she's a right beauty. I hope this one turns out half as good.
Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby R2D2 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:52 pm

I hope so to because if its released in this country I would like to possibly subscribe to it if its that good! I can just imagine it sitting next to my Aston Martin, Lamborgini Countach and my 1/8th scale E Type Jaguar!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby greyhawk » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:21 am

Issue 5 - Drive up to the bumper, baby

In issue 5 we deal with the front bumper. As usual Eaglemoss is all over the place with this build, but it looks like it will get better with the next issues focusing on the engine.

This is also the last issue to be blister packed apparently, issues 6 and 7 arrived with the familiar plastic bags.

For parts we get the front bumper and number plate (both ABS) as well as the right and left overriders and holdfasts (all zinc)

All parts but the number plate are marked L and R. Take care to place all parts into their correct places to avoid problems down the line, especially with the holdfasts. They may look kinda identical but are not.

Note the instructions are wrong in several places about which type of screw to choose. Follow my instructions instead to avoid any confusion

We first mount the overriders to the front bumper. There will likely be burr at the extrusion marks in the inner curve of the overriders. Carefully emove these with a needle
file to enable a nice tight fit. If you lack a file, a fresh blade on a cutter or craft knife will also do, but remember to protect your eyes, you're dealing with metal shavings after all.
I'd recommend a file.

Attach the overriders with M2,3 x 4mm screws designated MM.

The right and left holdfasts are connected next with the longer branch pointing to the outside of the bumper. Note the right holdfast has an additional attachment point for later use, so it's important to get it into the correct place.

Attach the holdfasts with M2,0 x 4mm screws designated HP.

Place the bumper assembly so that the longer parts of the overriders are pointing upwards and attach the numberplate in a readable position with the M2,0 x 4mm screws designated HP.

And that's it for issue 5.
Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby greyhawk » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:41 pm

It's week 6 and we finally begin adding parts to other parts we built before

This time we get the oil pan (zinc), oil filter, oil cooler cover, oil cooler tank and oil cooler line (all ABS)

The oil cooler line is mounted to the tank...

... which is mounted to the oil pan.

The tank cover simply snaps into place.

The oil filter is mounted....

... and the whole assembly is fixed to the engine assembly we built in issue 4.
Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby R2D2 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:08 pm

Hi there! So far how are you rating this kit! Is it as good a quality and detailed model as advertised! Im hopeing this kit will come to the UK and if its good enough I might get it.
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby greyhawk » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:16 am

R2D2 wrote:Hi there! So far how are you rating this kit! Is it as good a quality and detailed model as advertised! Im hopeing this kit will come to the UK and if its good enough I might get it.

For the most part, yes, it's good quality. Parts fit very well, and the overall detail is good, while not perfect. There's of course room for improvement for the enthusiast modeler, but so far it seems like even a straight out of box build will give a great looking model.

There are occassional hickups as mentioned above with instructions being not entirely correct or parts delivered having been pre-glued wrong. I am currently waiting for a replacement for issue 8, because the main part in this issue arrived broken, quite obviously something heavy was resting on it for quite some time. As a late subscriber I have thankfully avoided the issue 11 problem, which was a broken fan in nearly all the issues, which led to a general callback of the issue from magazine stands throughout the country.

Packaging is bad. With issue 6 the blisters disappeared and we get flimsy plastic bags leading to the "things breaking" problem outlined above.

Customer support is.... well, let me put it this way: On all printed and digital material is a customer support email address given as 300sl-modell@interabo.de . That address does not exist. The ACTUAL support address is sl300-modell@interabo.de . So I've seen people complain that they get no reaction from support for weeks, consistently writing to the mail address in their material, that does not exist.

Even if you write to the correct address I've had to wait for answers to requests for up to a week with no indication of my mail ever arrived.

So, am I happy with the kit and would I buy it again? Yes to both. The problems with the kit seem to be mostly related to the distributor and the project manager in me wants to go out there for a week with a pointy stick and reorganize that whole setup. But the kit itself? Where it's good, it shines. Well, that's at issue 6 anyways, people were happy with the DB5 too this early in.
Building:
greyhawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Other cars