Build of the Year: Tamiya Kawasaki H2R

The gloves are off!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:21 pm

I've had this in the stash for a little while, and had planned on finishing the Rally 037 before starting it. However, a Facebook group is starting a group build for racing machines, so it's hitting the bench a little early.

The kit needs no introduction. Kawasaki's track version of their amazing H2 super bike. The H2R isn't road legal. Track only. 300+ horses from a 1 litre supercharged engine. Ridiculously fast. Comes with a free loyalty card for your nearest hospital..... I think it's the most powerful production bike to date. To be perfectly honest, I might be tempted with the H2 version, but it's a lot of money for two wheels and no roof, and I'm not that keen on hospital food!

Anyway, on to the kit. This is the box of Tamiya awesomeness.

ImageUntitled by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

Opened up......

This would make a great model straight out of the box. However, it's got those (I must not use sligthly naughty words) horrible cross head screws, so we need a few scale fixings, rivets, bolts, etc. to sort that out. Oh, and there's loads of carbon fibre on the bike, so we need the Studio 27 carbon fibre decals. They're upside down in the pack, but there are loads of them on the sheet. Fun fun fun......

I splashed out on the Zero paints matched paint set. Well, I've heard wonderful things about Zero paints, so what better way to try them out.

Then I saw the Hobby Design detail set. Well, that has a chain, and loads of other goodies, and about 3000 bolt heads and other tiny details..... I can't resist a proper chain......

That'd be enough, or so I thought. But then I came across the Studio Design detail set. That has a rather nice exhaust insert. I'll photograph it when the time is right. It looks the biz! So I had to have the set. As an aside, it also has some turned forks, and a couple of other parts that are missing from the Hobby Design set.
The main overlap is the disc brakes. I'll try both and see which looks better.

There is also the Top Studio MotoGP axle set. That's the horrible cross head screws on the axles sorted!!

The Facebook group build runs for 6 months from the 1st Jan, so it might be pushing it a bit to finish in time..... Still, I'm really looking forward to this project, and there's no time limit on this forum!
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tamiya Kawasaki H2R

Postby number1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi Mark, can't wait to see this come to life! Bet all those detail sets cost as much as the kit, I'm sure there was a feature in Tamiya mag on this. Well jel :mrgreen:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:40 am

The Hobby Design set was more than the kit, so yes, there is more money in the aftermarket sets than the kit, by a fair bit :lol: I’d originally thought of doing an out of the box build, but the carbon decals are essential, and I had, just had to get rid of the cross head screws, and then, who can resist a chain upgrade. One thing just lead to another :whistle:

Yes, it was featured in Tamiya mag a while ago. I’ll go through my back issues and find it.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:29 am

Watching with interest on this one - :D when SWMBO doesn't catch me and increase my holiday honey-do list :( :o
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 finished
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Build of the Year: Tamiya Kawasaki H2R

Postby chill » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:03 pm

As you know ive been looking at this kit.

Be following with interest
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Got another goodie for the H2R. A Decalcas screen. It's very thin, pre-cut, and fits perfectly. However, it's going to be a right so n so to glue in place as it's just a butt fit.

ImageIMG_4673 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:37 pm

Wow! Quite an assortment of stuff there to add on to the Tamiya kit.

I've never done a motorbike and will watch with interest.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:20 am

Do they do a make a model of your bike Snapdragons or any that you previously owned :?:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:52 pm

snapdragon wrote:Wow! Quite an assortment of stuff there to add on to the Tamiya kit.

I've never done a motorbike and will watch with interest.

James

There are some very nice AM sets for some bikes available. The popular ones are by Top Studio and Hobby Design. I think Crazy Modeller do some as well. However, be warned, the instructions are nowhere near as good as Eduard's. There is a lot left to the imagination. However, you can, with care, skill and research, produce amazing models.

Top Studio chain sets are supposed to be particularly challenging. Hobby design have a simpler approach that makes a very realistic, but non-working chain. That's the set I've got for this kit. I'll be tackling it soon. Can't resist a nice chain :lol: (I should probably get out more :laughing-rolling: )

Anyway, I've made a bit of a start. I shall be detailing a lot of the aftermarket additions in detail. Partly because I hope it makes a good read, and partly because I'll use the build diary as notes to remind me where I've removed plastic and still have to replace it with etched parts.

The frame seems a good place to start. The frame is just 2 parts. The moulding is amazing. Very little in the way of mould marks.

These bolts heads are going to be replaced with etched ones.

The horrible, hated and despised cross head screws are, of course, going to be replace. The fairing is going to be held on by magnets, so it can be easily removed. I got some 2mm dia neothingumy magnets off Ebay. The holes in the frame and the holes in the fairing are drilled out to 2mm and the magnets super glued in. Watch the polarity, or the fairing shoots off! It's easy on this kit as there are only 2 screws holding the fairing.

This is how it look, and it works remarkably well.

For some reason, the fairing is held together with screws. Who on earth thought that was a good idea? A relatively expensive kit, and they make it look like a toy with those screws (Shall I get off the soap box now?)

This one is easy to fix. Glue!! The holes simply get filled. The other two rivet heads are also removed and all three will be made from etched parts.

I sliced off the rivets, and then drilled 0.5mm holes where they were, so the position isn't lost.

The frame will get a coat of Ammo Oneshot primer, followed by Zero paints silver, then the candy green. These are the colour matched paint set from Zero paints. Never tried them before, but they have a very good reputation.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:38 pm

wouldn't it be a safe bet to actually test the paints out on some spoons first?
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Good point James. Do a test first - I should practice what I preach :lol:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:10 pm

number1 wrote:Hi Mark, can't wait to see this come to life! Bet all those detail sets cost as much as the kit, I'm sure there was a feature in Tamiya mag on this. Well jel :mrgreen:

Just found it - The kit was featured in Tamiya mag Feb 2017.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:39 pm

it begins! - :geek: :!:
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:44 am

The first lick of paint. I'm using Zero paints for this. My first time using them, and I'm sold on the first try! The silver sprayed so easily, and so beautifully, it was unbelievable.

Here's the spoon test. The silver is over Ammo One Shot white primer. Usually I'd put silver over a black primer, but the instructions specifically said a light primer. This was just two coats, one left to right, one up and down.

Here's the frame after about 4 coats.

I just hope the candy green sprays as nicely and covers as well.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:52 am

I am always on the lookout for good metal paints.

What base are these as I had so many problems with the Alclad stuff. Also, shades vary from company to company giving the modeller much more opportunity for modulation or a subtle different aluminium shade.

I always use a light primer for metals as for the silver based colours it doesn't darken the paint and has a higher reflectability than a black gloss undercoat/primer.

So, what is the effect of the zero paint on a white gloss undercoat and, what is the result of masking?

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi James,

These are a lacquer base. Touch dry within a few minutes (seconds if you keep the coats light). It's more of a silver paint than a true metallic (if you see what I mean). It gives a fair representation of cast aluminium to my eyes. However, it's meant as a base for the candy green in this set. When I get round to my MFH 1/12 Tipo 159, I shall use this on the wheels. They are spoked wheels, but are painted silver on the real car. As much as it breaks my heart to cover the spokes, I shall use this as it's absolutely perfect for that.

Anyway, back to the H2R, here's a gratuitous spoon shot for you James.

The green took lots of light coats to get a full colour. 6 to 8 or more, I lost count, but they were light coats, and applied with only a very short drying time between coats. You can see a strip where I masked, and the paint took masking tape perfectly.

Here is the frame, all painted up.

I have to say, I'm sold on Zero paints. The green took a lot more coats to get an even finish, but I think the photo speaks for itself.

Now I do have a question for the collective experience of the forum. The body is either carbon fibre, or black chrome. The black chrome is done with a metallic buffing powder on top of a gloss black finish. There are 4 small decals to go on the black chrome. Can I put gloss varnish over the black chrome? If I put the decals on before the buffing powder, the decals will turn metallic. If I put the buffing powder on, then decal, the water may mark the black chrome. Any suggestions?
I can feel some spoons being offered to the paint goddess......
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:45 pm

I like gratuitous spoon shots! :laughing-rolling:

I might have to get a couple of the metal paints and have a play!

With the black chrome, I would sacrifice some spoons to the great white plastic spoon Goddess and test with some spare decals and what this powder does and how it reacts with and without a gloss coat etc!

The alternative is to see if there is a black chrome paint available.

Try the powder on a gloss grey surface. See what happens..... Just a thought.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:09 pm

Glad you like the zero paints, I have their candy gold and silver groundcoat which needs to be applied over a primer, havn't tried them yet. Can I ask what air brush cleaner you used?
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:14 pm

Oh wow,......,! :o :o
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:07 am

Thanks for the comments guys.

I used Tamiya cleaner. Worked just fine, although there isn’t much paint left in the brush.
I’d wear a proper mask as the fumes seem quite strong. My rainbow unicorn help was very helpful though, and he didn’t drop a single hair.

Still thinking about the decals on the black chrome. The effect the buffing powder give can’t be matched with paint.
The front forks are finished with a Black nitride finish. I was thinking of trying the buffing powder over grey for that. Not sure yet..... any other suggestions?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Build of the Year 2019