The gloves are off!

Re: Build of the Year: Tamiya Kawasaki H2R

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby casper » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:20 pm

:text-bravo:
wow she looks superb Mark :clap: :clap:
The etched grills look excellent. Does the Zero metal etched primer come in a small jar like the paints.
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:08 am

The primer comes in 60ml jars. https://www.hiroboy.com/Metal_Primer_60 ... -5920.html

The Zero paints are nice and thin, didn’t block a single hole of the mesh.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Mr Cock-up came knocking, guess who opened the door :doh:

I picked up the seat parts, decided to spray them carbon black, slightly lighter than the rest of the bike, for a bit of variation. Completely forgot to prime them first! Zero paints is quite hot, and even with light coats, it etched into the plastic visibly. That wouldn't have been a great problem, if it had gone evenly, as the effect was quite good in places. Of course, it was patchy, so out with the sanding sticks, and this time, primer first!!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Mark wrote:Mr Cock-up came knocking, guess who opened the door :doh:

I picked up the seat parts, decided to spray them carbon black, slightly lighter than the rest of the bike, for a bit of variation. Completely forgot to prime them first! Zero paints is quite hot, and even with light coats, it etched into the plastic visibly. That wouldn't have been a great problem, if it had gone evenly, as the effect was quite good in places. Of course, it was patchy, so out with the sanding sticks, and this time, primer first!!

Aagghh, nightmare, lessons learnt, I have some zero paints but no primer, just as well I haven't tried them yet :doh:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby casper » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:38 am

Wow :o will have to remember that, hope its an easy fix for you Mark.
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:49 pm

It wasn’t a big problem. Sand, prime, and try again. Went perfectly the second time.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:05 pm

It may look more realistic....Mark you mayhave invented a new surface texturing technique - :think: like stippling armour models with styrene glue :) - anyway, enough frivolity - can't wait to see more pics .....
Morris

1/32 Tamiya Tomcat as Top Gun in progress
Hachette Spitfire Mk1a partworks up to including issues 22-30
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work pack 4
1/28 Revell Rickenbacker Spad XIII
Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:00 pm

More progress, but sadly, not quite finished.

The brake pipes are more or less finished. The pipe from the lever goes to a block on the front fork, which then goes to the ABS pump. I can only assume that this is to get a better pipe run. Then the pipe from the ABS pump goes to the block on the front fork, which distributes to the two callipers. You can also see the throttle cables not connected yet.

ImageUntitled by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

Here are the fluid reservoirs. These are resin aftermarket parts from the HD set. Much better than the kit parts. They were sprayed silver, then a 0.7mm masking tape was added at the top. Next, sprayed with clear yellow. Then the tape removed, and the whole thing sprayed with gloss clear with a few drops of black added. The result is a pretty good representation of the original bike. The real thing has reservoirs made from a dark, clear plastic. The tops were painted by hand with Tamiya lacquer black. Then they were plumbed in with the thin pipe supplied with the kit, which seems just about the right diameter.

Here's the rear brake reservoir.

This is where I cheat a bit. Thursday evening, I'd finished the brake pumping, still had to pack, and was flying back to the UK after work on Friday. So, clearly not going to get the model finished. However, I really wanted to have some pictures to present for the close of the competition. So, the tank and seat were put in place, they needed no extra glue. The air duct was added with PVA so I can remove them again. The front fairing wasn't fitting perfectly, so the air duct and air intake box needs some adjustment. You need to get it perfect so the magnets hold.

The instrument panel was just put in place, and the front fairing just about held with the magnets and a spot of PVA.

So, more of less finished, but the fairings are only held on temporarily. The bike is still missing the foot rests, cover for the front fork screw, and the fairing winglets. I also need to give it a good looking over to see where Ive missed out on some small details. Some decals still to add too.

Top view of the forks and tank.

Almost finished.......

Remember I mentioned that the metaliser powder was a little patchy in places. Well, it started rubbing off with a bit more handling, in a few places. So I sent a message to the company that make it to try and find out what the problem was. It was only here and there, so I was sure it was me and not the product. It turns out that the powder doesn't take if you leave the clear coat too long to cure. I'd left it a good week :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: There are two solutions. Most of the panel will still come off, so I can wash the powder off. Give it a light coat of clear, then reapply the powder after 10 to 15 mins, when it's touch dry. For the rear panel behind the seat, it's superglued in place. I'll see if it will pop off easily. If not, I can, apparently, polish it with a med or coarse cutting compound and reapply the powder. Carefully, with plenty of masking tape to keep it off the adjacent areas.

So, it's not finished. Do I admit defeat, or do I post the nearly finished pictures and allow people to vote on it if they wish.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:07 pm

It’s beautiful ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Morris

1/32 Tamiya Tomcat as Top Gun in progress
Hachette Spitfire Mk1a partworks up to including issues 22-30
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work pack 4
1/28 Revell Rickenbacker Spad XIII
Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby number1 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:39 am

After all the work you've put in and being so close to finishing I for one would post it and let the voters decide, good luck!
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:55 am

As others have said, beautiful model, fingers cross that you manage to get his finish on time or leave it as it is. Either way, it still looking great
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:46 am

I’m away for Xmas now, so won’t be able to touch it until the New Year. There is probably another weeks work to finish it, but no chance to do anything until I get back
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi Mark, Merry Christmas :occasion-xmas:
Looking fantastic :clap: :clap: Shame you are so close to finishing her. I am actually at around the same point on my build with just the fiddly bits to finish off.
excellent diary, really enjoyed your build :clap:
Didn't know you had to use the metaliser powder when the clear coats still touch dry, shine looks amazing.
have a Merry Christmas matey :occasion-santa:
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:51 am

Still tinkering with this model as it's so close to being finished. I took all the fairings off, washed the powder off, resprayed them, then reapplied the powder. It went much better, or so I thought...……

I fitted the air intake and duct properly. Two pieces, nice and easy, or so I thought!! The duct is very close to the fairing, and it took a lot of adjusting to get it to sit in close enough to the frame so that the fairing still fitted properly. All f;laming afternoon to get it right!! And then I noticed that the metallic powder on the fairing had rubbed off with all the handling!! Grrr!!! I'm going off this powder!!

Anyway, here's the intake and duct fitted.

And with the fairing in place.

It's really only the bodywork to be fitted properly that's left, and the foot pegs.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Looking great Mark, almost finished. :clap: :clap: shame about the powder, she looks great. I'm having similar problems lining up the two half of my fairing, its such a tight fit that anything out of place pushes everything out of line. In my case its the radiator pipes. (too stiff and won't bend)
casper
General
General

Postby royjess » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:25 am

Looking really good, I'm so pleased to see that you are continuing with this and can't wait to see if finished.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:43 pm

Thanks guys. It’s too close, and too much work gone into it not to finish off. Not too much left to do, but I shall take my time, as there’s no deadline now.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Build of the Year 2019