Build Of The Year Entry - 1/32 HKM Lancaster

The gloves are off!

Re: Build Of The Year Entry - 1/32 HKM Lancaster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks very much, guys.

This was a great build. An easy one to do parts wise, and while an OOB build looks great, the use of Masters Browning set and Eduards cockpit set plus their seatbelt set just elevates the build that much more. As with all kits, especially the big ones, as Morris will back me up, is the paint job. While most of the interior can't be seen, quite a lot of the cockpit and bomb Aimers areas can be seen despite them being a Matt black. This is where on this build the detailing was concentrated. On.

Now this is my opinion. The area that lets this kit down are the engines, and it is the only thing. HK have done some nicely detailed but bare bones engines with the hope or expectations that AM companies will do stuff to detail them up which just has not happened through all the Mosquito and Lancaster releases to date and the Pfeil 335 ones too.

This forced my hand and I took the decision to close up all the cowlings as trying to add scratch built piping etc would have been just too much and would have taken far too long. If you are happy with a bare bones engine then that's fine. Most modellers want more detail on their engines to play with and you only need to look at ZM and Tamiya to see what can be achieved.

I do believe WnW in their forthcoming Lancasters have some really beautiful Merlins, but I am unsure if there are 4 in the box. Time will tell.

These are expensive kits and more will be spent on the extras to make them pop but as most builders know, these builds take time and this one took 3 months more or less. In actual fact, in real terms it means that the kit is value for money as it fills the bench and keeps you occupied for a quarter of the year.

What actually makes this kit is the pure physical size of it when done and what finishes it is the exterior paint job. You cannot mess around with scale correct paint, only the genuine chipset colours will do, hence Vallejo and MRP.

Now as soon as I got the first release in my paws with the clear fuselage, it was more than clear that despite the decals being the top grade stuff from cartograf, there was going to be an issue using them because of the size of them. Also, as this was a competition and my decal techniques need..... Well, I need to learn them instead of slapping them on and that's that. My track record with varnishes, as you have seen is not very good so painting the insignia etc was the only way to go. I went with that and the extra effort IMHO has well paid off and I learned much during this process.

Thanks guys for the comments and support. Time to do some armour now!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:08 pm

Again, beautiful build James - as WN2 said, a master class on masking - bravo
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 finished
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby number1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Superb, stunning build James, good luck with the comp, looking forward to your next project :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby casper » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:34 pm

Absolutely superb James :text-bravo: you really nailed it :clap: :clap:
awesome paint work
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Build Of The Year Entry - 1/32 HKM Lancaster - Completed

Postby snapdragon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:57 pm

Thanks for all the support and kind words everyone. Much welcome.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Build of the Year 2019