Mosquito 1/48 'The Wooden Wonder'

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mustang » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Well to start with I'm going to blame RedRoo for this. ;)

After looking at his excellent work on the Ho-229 with the wood effect decals. :clap: :clap:

I had a look at the manufactures site for the decals and saw the Mosquito, and as this is one of the most elegant aircraft of its type and that I love it to bits. Plus the Moss museum is only down the road from me. :dance:

I though well let's see if I can do this as a complete wooden effect model, so I've looked around and found all the parts at a cheeper price and have ordered all the parts.

Tamiya kit, Uschi fine veneer & knotless, Eduard FE239, QB48306 and Uschi Rigging Standard.

Plus looking online there's a lot of photos showing the aircraft in it naked state.

So thank you RedRoo for introducing me to this, as this will be my Xmas treat. :)
Last edited by Mustang on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Re: Mosquito 1/48

Postby RedRoo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:28 pm

:D That's right, blame me. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

:ugeek: I am really quite tickled pink by your kind words here Mustang, and I am only too happy to pass on what ever I can that can be of some assistance to you.

I posted some images to you last week through Photo Bucket but they removed my account and as a consequence, all the images I have posted, because I used an image that had a copyright tag I knew nothing about, and so they terminated my membership and removed from their web site all my albums I spent days uploading images too.

So, using the trusted method we have here of posting images, I will now repost them here for mustangs reference and he can do what he wants with them, like copying them into a folder he may have set aside and then delete them from here as this is his post and I don't want to be seen to be "Hijacking" his post.

Mustang, these images as I said are to replace the ones that I know now have "Gone" from the message I sent you the other day, so edit them out at your leisure mate. :oops:

Cheers.
Roo. :oops:
Attachments
DSCN2248.JPG
Here I used too much Tamiya clear orange and it just overwhelmed what I was attempting to do, which prompted me to go back to square one on the decals.
DSCN2248.JPG (79.92 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
DSCN2249.JPG
The deep "rich" colour was in my opinion, just too much.
DSCN2249.JPG (106.71 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Mustang » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi Roo.

Thank you for the photos they will help me out a lot. Your are more then welcome to post photos here if it's todo with the wood effect ;), I'll leave them there if that's alright with you.

Cheers mate.
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Postby Mustang » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:58 pm

So I've done some more looking around and having ideas, well ideas are great if they work. :laughing-rolling:

So I'm looking at the following. Having the engines open, front gun bay open, bay door open, coolers added to the wings. Not so much on the inside cockpits as the canopy will be closed.

Was also thinking of having the wings disconnected from the main fuselage like it was being built or all the part fitted and the aircraft in a state of maintenance. :think:

So this is what I was looking at.

Aires (engine details)
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4200

True details (main wheels)
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TD48017

Scale Aircraft Conversions (undercarriage)
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SAC48038

Aires (Bomb bay)
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4152

Aires (Wheel Bays)
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4208

CMK (Wing mounted coolers)
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK4241

Aires (Gun Bay)
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4177

I think that's enough, what do you guys think or is there better sets that I've missed. Please any info would be great as I'm still looking at what parts where wood, like the main fuselage and the main wing areas but what about the flaps and control areas.
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Postby Mustang » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Here's the Uschi link to the page that hooked me.
http://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-catego ... reference/

Thank you Roo for the info in the pm earlier about the paint colours. I read that you suggest flesh tones, I was also thinking or very light yellows also :think:
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Postby Mustang » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Roo what was the colour you used here.
Last edited by Mustang on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Postby RedRoo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:24 pm

:shock: OMG, !!! What an amazing set of images of the actual build.

The way the sections take a "curved" angle on the tail section would add so much strength to the whole structure.

What an exciting project this will be Mustang.

With your desire to make it happen, we can all be assured that this will be the most spectacular build ever seen here on PWMF :mrgreen:

In the images I was really impressed with all the photos but one in particular stands out for me and that was of the stbd side view of the nose looking from front to rear and what looks like blood stains down the side of the nose section.

I wonder where the wood actually came from, was it British or European stockpiles from prior to the war beginning ?, as I do know there was a fantastic amount of it used in the furniture industry and by "Coach Builders" supplying the auto industry that was made on the Continent.

???? Roo. :ugeek:
Mustang wrote:Roo what was the colour you used here.

Having used one basic colour underneath the decals, each one of the different 'coloured' decals will take on a tone of its own, that's why I used so many sheets, so that I could get the difference between the sheets to stand out.

There are several different 'coloured' decal sheets, depicting various 'coloured' woods, and as I said, look at my Ho-229 build on page four and there is a photo of all six sheets from Uschi. and the various shades of texture and colour is really evident

Roo. :D
Attachments
DSCN2226.JPG
Here are the sheets from Uschi and the differences in tone.
DSCN2226.JPG (98.72 KiB) Viewed 7259 times
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby number1 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:42 pm

Cant wait for this one, popcorn ordered :mrgreen:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RedRoo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:48 pm

number1 wrote:Cant wait for this one, popcorn ordered :mrgreen:

:D Totally agree Number 1, and there are going to be a lot of others following his lead now. I for one want to tackle the Tamiya 1/32 Mozzie now. :lol:
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby RedRoo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 pm

Mustang wrote:Here's the Uschi link to the page that hooked me.
http://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-catego ... reference/

Thank you Roo for the info in the pm earlier about the paint colours. I read that you suggest flesh tones, I was also thinking or very light yellows also :think:

The "yellow" will produce a look of deep rich, similar to the images posted above. Just be careful how much yellow you use and the type of coloured decal you use too.

Roo. ;)
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby RedRoo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:56 pm

Mustang wrote:Hi Roo.

Thank you for the photos they will help me out a lot. Your are more then welcome to post photos here if it's todo with the wood effect ;), I'll leave them there if that's alright with you.

Cheers mate.

:D I feel good knowing these images are useful Mustang and you can do what ever you need with tem and I am happy with what ever you choose.

Roo. :D
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:40 am

Order an extra large portion for me too ;)
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gundog » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:04 am

I went to the de Havilland museum back in the spring. If I recall, the prototype Mossie is in a state of "undress" at the moment. You'll be able to see the textures of the laminate quite well. As I recall, the yellow tones are the ones to use.

One of the rumour mongers at Telford was talking of Airfix resurrecting the 1/24 Mossie as a B Mk IV. Now that would be a project for this sort of treatment!

Nice little list of extras you've selected. If I liked popcorn, I'd order some. I'll have Maltesers instead. :laughing-rolling:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Mustang » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Can we please keep this clean, with just the build photos of my project please. I allowed RedRoo wood effect photos as it shows what I'm going to try, and that he has helped me behind the scenes.

Thank you
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Postby Mustang » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:04 pm

They sent me one if the wood veneer pack but it's the wrong one :angry-banghead: plus the other one is out of stock :angry-banghead:

So there waiting for more to arrive and will sent both out together, I'll keep the one they sent as I could use it on another 1/32 aircraft I have.
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Postby Mustang » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Just been looking at RedRoo page 4 on his Ho-229 and again my jaw just drops. I hope I can achieve what he's done ;)
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Postby Mustang » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:25 pm

RedRoo wrote::D Totally agree Number 1, and there are going to be a lot of others following his lead now. I for one want to tackle the Tamiya 1/32 Mozzie now. :lol:

Mark wrote:Order an extra large portion for me too ;)

Gundog wrote:Nice little list of extras you've selected. If I liked popcorn, I'd order some. I'll have Maltesers instead.

So no pressure then :lol: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ;)
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Postby RedRoo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:44 pm

Mustang wrote:They sent me one if the wood veneer pack but it's the wrong one :angry-banghead: plus the other one is out of stock :angry-banghead:

So there waiting for more to arrive and will sent both out together, I'll keep the one they sent as I could use it on another 1/32 aircraft I have.

Uschi will be absolutely "Flat Out" trying to keep up with the orders they will now be getting since the release of ZM's Ho-229. Not surprising really. :doh:

All will be good, and by the way, I have just posted some pics of my new attempt at the "natural look" on my Ho-229 like in the mossie pics from the link you sent me that "Got you hooked". :D
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Mustang » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Just had a look Roo.

They look excellent. That's the effect I need on this one so it's a flesh base colour thank you.

The process I was looking at doing was a white primer not grey.

Then some different colour shades of clear yellow or opaque light colours.

But like you say I'll have to try some spare on some test pieces. ;)
Mustang
Major General
Major General

Postby RedRoo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Mustang wrote:Just had a look Roo.

They look excellent. That's the effect I need on this one so it's a flesh base colour thank you.

The process I was looking at doing was a white primer not grey.

Then some different colour shades of clear yellow or opaque light colours.

But like you say I'll have to try some spare on some test pieces. ;)

I just read your email.

Mustang, everything we are doing here is brand new to both of us and all I can pass on to you are the lessons learned from my first attempt. I did do a lot of experimenting with all kinds of undercoats to see what the decals behaved like, and that "Natural" look on the mosquito link you got hooked on I have found is "flesh", or even "Radome" to be the ideal underlay that really enhances the grain colour.

I think that with the "Yellowing" it may be of use when wanting that "Oil stained " section near engine covers and the such.
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Aircraft and space flight