Zoukei Mura 1/32 J7W1 Shinden

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:20 am

This is Zoukei-Mura's entry into the market and it is a corker of a kit, but not an easy build. I have already built this and this will be my second.

My first attempt quite a few years ago went well, but not understanding the kit and what the "Old Man" and his gang were doing meant that I didn't build it well and I quickly learned that kits like this needed the metal undercart as I broke one of the main legs while putting it into place and it never sat right after that!

Also, at that time my Nephew was much younger and didn't quite grasp the concept that these were not toys and so, despite lots of shouting and me chasing him out of the house (which he thought was fun) quite a few built kits bit the dust!

This particular aircraft never made it past prototype stage and only 2 were built with one survivor ending up in a sorry state in the smithsonian. It would have made it to full production but the war ended. To my knowledge this was the only canard wing aircraft designed and actually flew in WWII. It did have teething problems and these were mostly sorted.

I was going through the manual and all the extra parts that I have for it and very nearly started, but finishing the panther comes first!

There are quite a few upgrade sets I have including metal undercart (I remember the original). replacement gun barrels, cockpit set, exterior/wheelwell set, engine mesh screens etc. I also have the correct paints and some genuine Aotake colour is on the way as well as some painting masks for the Japaneses insignia. I intend to paint as much as I can rather than use decals.

To make the engine stand out a bit more I will be not sticking to the kit painting instructions but using AK metalics make the engine a bit brighter and so show off the detail. Also I will endeavour to add all the wiring in there and I am sure that there well be some words uttered.

While the Aotake anti corrosion paint had more or less been discontinued at this stage of the war I'm going to use a bit as a nod to the colour and I'll be doing some tests on different backgrounds first before applying to get the right effect!

THe thing that has me thinking is the final overall finish. Do I go for the original dark green upper surface that the prototypes were painted or a hypothetical camo scheme!

What is the general consensus of the forum?

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Zoukei Mura 1/32 J7W1 Shinden

Postby snapdragon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:50 pm

Now I reckon most of the paints are now here and while waiting for primer to dry I decided to do some comparison of the Aotake I ordered with a paint ( the same brand and number) I have had for a long time which is the closest to Aotake I have ever seen for modellers.

On the photo below, the original aotake is on the right and the new one is on the left!

It's the same company, same range and same number!

Aotake was an anti corrosion coating used by both the Army and Navy aircraft to protect from metal corrosion by salt air (Japan is a series of Islands for those with a lack of geography! :o :D )

It was a clear coat tinged with blue and the colour varied from batch to batch because the ingredients were hand measured on standard scales and mixed by hand so the colour and depth varied.

Also, when applied there was a chemical change in the mixture while it was drying and curing which further changed the hue and the thicker the application the greater depth of colour. It also reacted with salt air which saw further changes.

The aotake which I normally use on Japanese aircraft (the left hand example is really close and depending on the light colour around it it has an almost mimetic effect between blue and green. My Camera here has picked up the greenish hue it projects, while the sample on the right mimics the Vallejo version of Aotake. This is meant to be blue (god knows what the Vallejo Aotake Green version looks like!

for us scale modellers Aotake should be this:

this is from the same zero wing and clearly shows 2 different batches. one with blue pigment and one with more green pigment. I will try and find the ingredients, but I think you will see that the blue of the original lifecolor is better and closer to the original.
Last edited by snapdragon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:29 pm

The shades are almost metallic looking - watching this ....
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 finished
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:22 pm

I'll be starting this after the Panther is finished, Morris. I'm onto the ammo and their storage which is taking the time up at the moment.

Tamiya produced a paint for their 1/32 Zero to be used for Aotake, so I'll be getting a tub of that and testing it. If it's better than the lifecolor then that will be used.

I have tried mixing my own but the experiment didn't go well despite many spoons sacrificed to the paint god and gummed up my airbrush which took a total strip down to clean properly!

I always do like a good ZM kit and their newest one(s) due soon will be corkers!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:43 pm

More stuff has arrived for the Shinden and my paint plan for the engine is finalised.

I have acquired this:

https://shop.maketar.com/?product=132-japanese-hinomaru-roundels

and I shall do a "what if" scheme based on this camo pattern but using Vallejo's IJN paints, not the army ones, which I shall use on the Nick when I get one. The Shinden only did reach prototype stage and did fly, but if the war went on and it entered service then a camouflage version rather than the all over green and grey would be an unusual thing to show the guys and hopefully the old man at Telford.

Also winging it's way from Eastern Europe is HGW's seatbelt set for the Zero. Same seatbelt arrangement in this bird and along with the cockpit AM set it should look good in there!

Also there is metal barrels and frame set etc and nose weight set plus some brass rod to hopefully add plumbing to the engine as well as a metal undercart set.

I hope that I can paint on most of the stencilling as it just needs careful masking.

The camouflage will be a multi stage process and I have some Tamiya masking sheets coming and the pattern will be drawn by pencil and cut out. I hope to be able to keep the engine and gun covers removeable as the engine is a highlight of the kit and I will be throwing the paint book out on that and going my own way with Xtreme metal paints.

As ever, I will put up my build on here with all the process' I use!

Look out for my paint tests soon!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Looking forward to this build ,don't envy the camo work but it does sing when done well.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Return to Aircraft and space flight