Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Ki-45 "Nick"

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Re: Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Ki-45 "Nick"

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby wingnut2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi James, build is looking great, this link may help, it shows all kinds of "masking" products used in the graphic design world but it's not cheap :violin: you can apply it then copy through it then remove it and re apply to the model etc.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=uKlh ... BghhR7Tu_Y
W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 pm

My main idea is to cut outthedecal and create the shape in a square and then once applied paint the area white.

Once dry, apply some 0.4 tape around the edge hoping it will curve and then paint the yellow!

Similar To what I did with the red stripe On the fuselage but I have curves to cope with. I could use the decals, but I really want to paint the big stuff and just use the stencils from the decal sheet!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Good luck with that James I'll be watching with interest.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:39 pm

Having done some tests after tracing the decal with tracing paper the curves are too sharp for the masking tape to follow.

I'll have to use the decal!!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:18 pm

I've been distracted by a large box with a bomber inside it! Sorry for that!

This build is almost done and it is down to the little things and final bits and pieces to go on that would otherwise go missing or get broken.

Having to use the decal on the tail means that the rudder control parts need some careful painting to blend in not only with the yellow of the decal, but the rest of the aircraft too and the first colour to deal with is the dreaded yellow!

I decided that while I was going to be putting that on the outward facing side of the rudder control elements then I might as well do the yellow on the props too rather than use the decals. After the measuring I started top and bottom of the blades with 6mm tape. The actual distance using the decals according to my electronic measuring callipers was 5.98mm top and bottom from tip and prop boss. 6mm isn't that much of a noticeable difference.

That's my starting point and once again, measuring thedecal width and doing some rounding up and down and also taking into consideration of the effect I was after and the tape I had available I went with 2mm top stripe and 1mm bottom stripe which should be a noticable difference which is what the decals show. The actual lower decal is a small yellow oblong which would be difficult to get right in the middle of the blade and in the correct position so I invoked builders privilege and made it a 1mm blade wide stripe!

Then it is just a case of masking between the stripes....

Then removing the 2 and 1mm tape...

… gives us the painting area and then just make sure that the yellow colour doesn't get anywhere I don't want it...

The Yellow is applied and the masking tape removed and this is now how the model looks

It's just a case now of adding the small bits, decals etc.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:18 pm

:o :o :o :o :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Brilliant :clap:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:00 pm

Last build post for this one!

It's now finished but I did have a little bit of a last minute :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

It was really impossible to do the tail decal(s) as a mask and so I used the kit decals.

While putting the stencilling decals on I noticed this and wondered just how I had missed it and even how it happened!

There was some :angry-banghead: followed by :o and :angry-screaming: with some :angry-cussingblack: and the distinct feeling that somewhere along the line there had been a :text-blondmoment:

Needless to say, the paint came out again and everything was fixed!

So, Finally, here's the finished thing!

This is a great kit of an aircraft that not many will know and there is more to the kit than meets the eye with multiple display options, 2 variants in this kit and 2 painting options and a look around the net can produce other painting variations too.

Never jump in to a Zoukei-Mura kit without taking time to figure things out as once you start going without a plan or end goal then you will run into trouble by wanting to make something viewable but not takingthe time to read the build book MULTIPLE times and look at the parts before starting. With these kits it is always wise to actually consider just how you want to display it when finished and work backwards from that and to do that you need to spend time with the book and part sprues and get yourself really familiar with the kit.

I tried a new painting technique for me and in the main it worked. It did go a little wonky at times and I have tried to correct as much as possible and this technique needs some more thinking and refining over cutting out the masks for the sharp edge type camo.

When I come to the shinden I will try the other way with a soft edge camo and a lower pressure through the airbrush working very close to the kit to try and minimise the spread of the paint.

Overall, this is a really nice kit with bags of detail, and there will be more variants coming!

Comments and questions welcome

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Very nice James, the detail is awesome :clap: It's been a "labour of love" I'm sure and it shows.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:31 pm

:clap: Brilliant work Snaps ,stunning model . Looking forward to your Hs 129 build .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:49 pm

Lovely work there, brilliant build, Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Very very very awesome!!! Detail on detail - lovely,
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Aircraft and space flight