Zoukei Mura Shinden

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Zoukei Mura Shinden

Sponsor

Sponsor

Zoukei Mura Shinden

Postby snapdragon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:31 pm

This is the very first release from one of the top aircraft brands.

I have already built this when it originally came out but unfortunately suffered irreparable damage from my then very young nephew. This is a kit that actually took the market by storm and I managed to pick up another of the first batch and have just been waiting while I got all the extras I needed. My first build told me much about this kit and its weakness' which I will mention as we go through the box contents and build.

Zoukei Mura took a very sensible approach from this release and listened to the feedback from builders and their kits have just got better and better with both design, presentation and of course the improvement and development of the moulding processes available through technology advancements.

The Shinden itself only reached prototype status and flew just before the end of the war and the dropping of the atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. The canard wing concept was proved to be viable but the project was halted and the only survivor is in a very sorry state in America at the Smithsonian.

There is a lot of detail in this kit and despite only one set of prototype decals are included in this kit it does give us the opportunity to do an alternate timeline build with a camo scheme rather than the dark green upper and grey lower surfaces of the prototype

This release was done in 3 colour plastic. A grey metal colour, pale grey and black. This didn't go down well with builders and ZM quickly moved to a single colour apart from transparent stuff.

This is in the box

There is a decal sheet and canopy masking sheet but I forgot to photograph them... sorry!

Now for the extras. ZM contract in Eduard, Master models and others to do the extra detailing sets and while the kit looks good without, some are necessary. They are sold under the ZM brand.

First up are metal barrels for the 30mm cannons. They are from Master models of Poland and it will take a bit of work to replace them, but worth it in the end for the cleanness of the muzzle etc.

Next are metal undercart legs. These are really and essential add on as the kit legs are very wobbly at the angles they are set and break easily and there is no way back if one breakes at the insertion point as my nephew did. No repair could make it sit correctly and the main legs bent under the pressure of the body. The metal ones are essential.

Also a must is weights for the nose to make it sit correctly. Although not see, ZM have had them cast like allo boxes and shell case collectors.

Cockpit and interior set including mesh for the engine screen at the rear and HT leads for the engine etc. The HT leads will not be used as I have some wire and drills which will detail up the engine nicely.

Wheel well and frame interior detailing set. Yes... some changes to the airframe coming too!

Don't like the seat with the moulded on seatbelts or the Eduard painted ones so we have HGW Zero seatbelts which match the ones that were used on the aircraft. Not sure if I should use the eduard seat of the kit one without the belts... just one of the kit options in the box!

and lastly, some Maketar masks for the insignia.

Paints will be Vallejo IJN paint set, AK extreme metal, Vallejo Metal colour and Tamiya clear blue, red and their Aotake colour as there will be a nod to that somewhere in the kit!

Let the fun begin!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Zoukei Mura Shinden

Postby snapdragon » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:23 pm

This build is one where extra detail is intertwined with the actual build and some needs doing before parts are put together as well as preparation.

First of all I start with the engine and cylinder blocks. This is Zoukei Muras' first ever entry into the market and kit and at the time of it's release it attracted a lot of attention as it was a very unusual subject and also the detail that was in the kit.

I have decided to put the HT leads on to the engine which means some very tiny drilling needs to be done.

Holes need to be drilled into the circle that would be the spark plug. this has to be done for both sides of the two banks of cylinders and also the HT lead supply

Now this was done with first a 0.2mm drill and then a 0.3mm drill.

As something different I put together the cannon compartment on to the main air frame. There were some slight adjustments fit wise.

Some more parts were put together, Primed and painted. some will not be needed until later in the build, but while I have metal paints out...

cylinder tops were prepared and a 0.5mm hole drilled through in accordance to the instructions from the Eduard detail set and primed for painting. THe sets for the front and rear chlinder band differ and so are kept well apart. The chlinder blocks were painted with AK stainless steel and the push rods in AK steel. this gives a slight tonal difference which may not be noticeable in the pictures. The HT lead supply is painted in AK brass as the wires used will be 0.3mm brass rod.

I also took the opportunity to have a dry fit session with the frame and some of the exterior parts as I want to have the connon bay covers removeable. I decided to paint some of the fuselage parts with the colour chosed for the cockpit. I was initially going to go with a pale green (VMA 095) but instead decided the best would be to stick with the colour I used on the Ki-45 Nick (VMA 116) which is a match for a Japanese cockpit colour, but also an Afrika Korps camo colour too!

Next time, the cylinder head covers get painted with stainless steel and Tamiya Aotake colour. This should be fun!

Comments and questions welcome.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Another update... although a small one.

Cylinder heads on and the job of adding the HT leads is ongoing. One of the cylinder heads left the tweezers at light speed during painting and will probably be never seen again until the 4th Sunday after Lent somewhere around 2026! Not to worry as this can be hidden at the bottom of the engine when it is mounted and probably won't be seen!

The blue is Tamiyas Aotake, which is the closest on the market I have seen and was paintbrushed. This is the "Nod" to the anti-corrosion paint that the Japanese used.

I decided not to use the HT leads in the add on set as they are flat etched and so some 0.3mm brass wire came out to play!

Still another bank of cylinders to do. I am wondering if I should paint the HT leads black to make them stand out from the bright stainless steel metal paint. What to you all think??

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:34 am

Very neat work James. I couldn’t find any colour pics of the MK9D engine, but black plug leads are very common on US radial engines, so it seems a reasonable choice.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:16 pm

Here's another update.

Before I start on that I have been thinking about the upper splinter pattern on the Shinden exterior. Having Vallejo's IJNAF colour set gives me (more or less) the full colour range of what was used throughout the war. I have to go to AK for the blue-black cowling colour.

Here is the late war exterior colours available to me.

My first idea was to have the overall base colour grey (first on the left) with a splinter pattern done by the dark green (second on the left). Seeing the other two greens I have available I thought that the last green (going from the left) would make a nice two tone upper splinter pattern broken up by the base grey.

As Always, comments, thoughts etc are welcome.

Now on to the update.

The engine build was doing great guns when I came upon a major issue of my own making. How this happened I have no idea as I have been very careful and dry fitted many times before making things permanent.

Much careful painting has been done with the idea of making this engine detailed and eye catching while also having the effect to keep the eyes moving.

All the HT leads were installed and the parts aoutide the cylinder block being added

This is looking good and will look great when on the airframe I thought! On adding the engine mount the thought..... 'This is not right!' began to take prominence so I dry fitted the air intake and superchargers...

The top of the air intake system should match the top of the crankshaft where the HT Electrics are housed... and they are off my nearly 90 degrees!

After thinking about it for a while I came to the conclusion that when I originally put the indiviual banks of cylinders together I accidentally put one bank wrong although it fitted fine. This meant that I had to strip down the engine and rebuild. What I eventually did was to take out most of the HT leads I put in and split apart the two banks, taking out the locating pins with a sharp knife and rotating the bands with the air intake and HT/ crank in place while they fitted correctly and the engine mount sat properly. The banks were reglued together and alterations for the missing cylinder head done so it is now hidden at the bottom front and shouldn't be seen!

Now I have to do some repainting and replace all the wiring and build up the engine...... AGAIN!

One last thing I did before deciding to leave things for the day was to paint and start adding extra detail to the nose and cannon bay. It is very busy in there with 4 cannons installed and I have started with a 0.7mm nickle rod, bent to fit around the base of the dividing partition between the port and starboard cannons. The area was first painted with AK aluminium.

I also took the opportunity to join together the gun bay covers and make sure they fit correctly as I want them to be removeable all in one.

Not being able to remember just how much can be seen forward to the gun bay once the nose cowling is installed I ran the rod past the upper wheelwell where you can see the actuall wheel housing. The same will be done on the other side.

That's it for now, folks. Comments and questions etc more than welcome.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:59 pm

Good save on the engine James. Looking good.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:55 pm

awesome, James
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:32 pm

:clap: As ever great work ,got confused looking this up as the George is also called Shinden :? . Do ZM still make it?
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:37 pm

Here's another update.

This is currently OOP but you can still get it in the Anime version. It is the very same kit but with extra parts for the Anime tie in so you can build it in the original version.

There is some here. You will have to navigate to the actual item using the menus.

http://www.dominomodel.com/index.php?action=main

Note: you can build this out of the box, BUT to make it stand right you really do need the metal lets and nose weights. The plastic kit parts break easily (I know!) and the nose weights resemble ammo boxes and fit where they were housed.

https://ec.volks.co.jp/item/4518992502861.html?__lang=en

https://ec.volks.co.jp/item/45189925028 ... ?__lang=en

The cockpit set is also nice and includes stuff for the engines.

Now on to the update

While I was getting my head around the engine rebuild and putting all the wires back I started work on the frame. My plan was to use the detail set to help me cut holes in the frame before sticking them on.

The areas were marked

and drilling started. I ran into problems from the start being unable to get a flat and straight drill due to the frames form so the rear didn't look so good

I was unable to get a decent angle for drilling with any side drill at all so I gave up on that idea before I did damage that couldn't be fixed and instead will use paint to make it look like there is a hole there. Of course, it may not be seen, but...

I then added the rib ends as per the instructions on the main spar

the rear spar will be done another day. Those parts are very small and took some putting on, but when primed and painted will add to the area if seen.

I returned and rebuilt the engine, adding brand new wires as it was easier to do than using the ones I had taken off, repainted where needed and built up the main section of the engine. It now looks like it should and the missing top won't be seen when installed. There will be some extra repainting, but done when the engine is mounted

THe oil coolers and exhaust ports were painted with a combination of dark aluminium for the oil cooler and exhaust manifold for the exhaust port

The exhausts have not been done yet and will be fitted proir and during the engine mounting. They will also be painted with the exhaust manifold colour too.

Prop shaft and cover plus reduction gear. Painted aluminium (AK Xtreme metal). It has somehow gained a couple of scratches but a repaint/touch up will be done prior to mounting onto the frame.

That's all for now. Time to move on to the office and do more work on the frame and start tackling the skin parts.

Questions and comments welcome, chaps!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue May 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Moving on.

Time to start with the cockpit and do the propeller

Still more parts to add, but that's the base

The base colour of the prop is done. Time to add the yellow markings. I am not going to use the kit decals, instead masking and painting will do. I measured the tip decals at 6mm and so out with the 6mm tape and start from that!

The reverse has a 1mm strip at the bottom of the 6mm

The canopy is masked with tamiya tape and careful curring with scalpel blade. There is no detail on the inside ao I use the exterior only with no primer and paint the inside colour.

Exterior base coat is applied directly over this. Ready to be put on!

Bullet prood windscreen masked using same canopy method, but as there is framing on both sides it is possible to mak both sides. The IP has wiring detail added on to the back as some of it can be seen from the cannon bay. O.3 wire used.

Priming session went overboard a bit!!

That's all for now. Cockpit and seatbelts etc next time!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi James :) as ever very nice detailed work :clap: can I be nosey ? well I am being nosey :lol: is that a "Shell" on your bench ?
W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Tue May 07, 2019 5:18 pm

Great work James. Unusual prop tip markings. Nicely executed! Nice extra detail not he back on the IP as well.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Tue May 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Beautiful detail on those ZM kits - your painting work is doing the detail justice, James...
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Tue May 07, 2019 10:14 pm

wingnut2 wrote:Hi James :) as ever very nice detailed work :clap: can I be nosey ? well I am being nosey :lol: is that a "Shell" on your bench ?
W2 ;)

I don't know what you are referring to. Can you speak just plain English?
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi James, sorry I will mind my own business in the future.
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:20 pm

He meant the bullet round. Great work Snaps.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Wed May 08, 2019 8:22 pm

No bullet that... back end of airbrush! :laughing-rolling:
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:10 pm

steve131 wrote:He meant the bullet round. Great work Snaps.

Hi Duke :) thanks for putting that in "just plain English" for me.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Sun May 12, 2019 12:34 pm

Here's another update.

Cockpit and front end work. There is still items to be done, but the majority of the work is ready for the splinter pattern which I want to do before adding the 30mm cannons in the bay.

I added the detail up set (Eduard/ZM) and used HGW's Zero seatbelt set adding a couple of extra straps.

Once built up the tub is inserted into the frame. I did have a bit of a boob by doing the cannon bay first and I had to remove the rear bulkhead to facilitate the cockpit fitting properly and then refitted the frame. You can't tell and some Xtreme Metal will be repainted around there.

rear bulkhead fitted plus some ofther equipment and crash bar/support. Also some 0.2 wire added to tanks to simulate lines. Some sanding needed to help rear bulkead sit properly. Yu need to remember that this is their very first kit and is a learning experience for them.

Added the nose weight pack. Cleverly disguised as ammunition bins they son't be seen but you need care to make sure the right ones go into the right holes.

Front fuselage sides added. some slight mods needed to help everything sit as close as I can get it. Many dry fits!

Nose section and gun bay covers dry fitted. Some minor adjustment needed to the cowling.

before I add the guns the nose section needs painting and the splinter pattern putting on etc. This will make it easier painting wise as I am going to use metal barrels.

The aft frame , engine etc will be painted and/or added and the wings etc added as it will make sense to do the exterior in one paint job.

More next time.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun May 19, 2019 5:03 pm

Moving on. The rear section is more or less sorted. The engine installed, wings done etc.

If you fully intend to build this just be aware that you will have to push, pull, fiddle, force parts to fit in. This is ZM's first kit and thothing just fits wuite right somehow. I think ther is a bit of warpage somewhere that is throwing something out and it has a knock on effect so be prepared to modify stuff as you go and have some heavy duty clamps available!

Lower wing skin fitted. Some clamping neede there to make it sit onto the frame properly. Engine installed onto brackets. Caretalen to get everything central! Exhaust pipes dry fitted. these will be glued up a little later.

One of the frame supports is MIA but it can be fitted anytime. I painted those and the engine supports steel so that they were darker than the aluminium of the airframe

Upper wing and fuselage side fitted on both sides. A dry fot showed that the mount and slot for the fuselage side pieces needed a bit more depth fi wise so that the wing fillets liked up properly. Contrary to instructions I glued these together and fitted the exhaust port/oil cooler before fitting to the body. It went reasonably well

front intake guides and rear cowling fitted, glued etc. Everything needs clamping to make it fit and sit in line. I dropped the prop on to take the photos

Almost ready to mark out and paint the splinter pattern. I do need to put the windshield etc in place first and build the cannons for a dry fit to see if I can mount the bay detail with the nose cowling glued in place. I was going to use a 3mm tape to mark out the pattern so the grey would be in lines dividing up the green, but after some thought I think that 6mm would be better.

THe yellow IFF on the leading edge will be done differently to the manual and box lid as masking in that area is going to be really hard to get right and I don't want to use the decals. As it is a '46 paint job then something diffferent I think!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Aircraft and space flight