Amati Bedford Whaleboat - 1860

Ships, boats, oil rigs, anything that floats

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:49 pm

This is what's been keeping me busy for the last few months. I didn't post anything until now as progress was very slow doing the planking. Hopefully it will goa bit quicker from here on in.
Anyway, my wife volunteered me to make a model boat for her nieces wedding present. Luckily the wedding isn't until Oct or Nov......

The kit is the Amati Bedford Whaleboat from 1860. It's a really nice kit. Good quality materials, nice drawings, and instructions that look like they were translated by Google !! It's also a surprisingly challenging kit !! It's clinker planking, which is not easy to get right.

ImageUntitled by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

So, what's in the box ?

We get some nice laser cut frames, laser cut dark wood pretty bits, and thin laser cut planks. The planks are 1mm ply and nice and bendy.

Some strip wood of various shapes, sizes and materials. Not completely sure what they are as the parts list is in Italian !! There are a set of instructions with helpful pictures, all in Italian, and a separate sheet with the text vaguely translated into English.
The drawings are full size, and nicely presented.

Finally, there is a box of fittings. A mixture of brass, white metal, resin, etc. (Edit : There are cast zinc alloy - not white metal :angry-banghead: )

The model is fully detailed, inside and out, and the initial construction is down over a frame that is later removed. In a nutshell, you make the frame, add the inner planking, add the scale frames, then add the outer planking. Then the frame is removed.

The first puzzle is that the inner planking only lines the bottom half of the boat. Therefore you have to transfer the top line of the planks to the false frames, so you know where to start the planing from. Luckily the full size plan shows this and is accurately printed, so it wasn't too difficult to transfer the positions to the frames.

Then the frame can be assembled.

The bow and stern consist of a thin frame that becomes part of the model, and the larger part that is removed. These were held together with nails. As an aside, the nails are a weak point of the kit. They didn't supply enough, and they aren't very sharp, but are very fine. I bent quite a few and had to pull them out carefully to reuse them.

(Photo has gone awol)

Then the frame was faired and covered in cellotape to stop the glue sticking to it.

On to the inner planking. The first plank is always the hardest, and this was the one closest to the top of the boat (not the one right at the top of the frames, that's part of the false frame.) It didn't want to follow the marks I made on the frames as that would have meant bending the plank to wrong way. These planks are 1x5mm, and could have been forced into the position from the drawings. However, there is a 2x5mm hard wood plank that tops it, fitted later. That wouldn't like being forced, so I decided to let the plank follow its natural line. This may make the middle seats a little low, but I can live with that. Anyway, it was planked toward the keel. You can also see the keel in place, which is 4x4mm white wood, quite soft.

Here's a close up of the planking. This side isn't seen, but I sanded it so that the scale frames have a smooth surface to be glued to.
Incidentally, the planks are glued to each other, but not the frame obviously. Therefore I unpinned one side and sanded it. Then re-pinned it to hold it in place, and unpinned the other side for sanding. Then that was re-pinned.

These are the scale frames. 2x2mm soft wood, and were bent with an electric plank bender (like a large soldering iron with a large curved head). Again, the positions had to be transferred from the plans.

Finally, for now, the outer planking was applied. This was a right royal pain in the posteria. As mentioned, the planks are laser cut, so you have not room for adjusting the shape. You have to tape them all in position, mark the positions and the overlaps carefully, then remove them and start fixing them properly.

Three rolls of masking tape and a wig later....... I thought I had it all marked pretty well, and started gluing.

The first plank was easy. The second went OK too. The third seemed to have a large overlap at the front and rear, but it was right according to my marks.
Then the 4th wouldn't fit at all....... huge gaps :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: I had to remove the third plank, force the ends up and re-glue them. Then the 4th plank fitted. At that point I had to sand off all the marks I'd made and repeat the process of taping and marking, then start gluing again....

It eventually went OK, and I ended up with a planked hull :D :D :D

The planks at the bow and stern are causing a bit of a problem. With 'normal' planking you just sand everything smooth and glue the keel pieces on top. That doesn't work with clinker planking. The bow and stern pieces are slotted between the ends of the planks. Then they need sort of coaxing into plank, sanding, trimming, filling, etc...... That's still causing me a headache. I'm sort of getting close, but it's still not right....
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Amati Bedford Whaleboat - 1860

Postby number1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Nice work so far.
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 am

Thanks Number1. I'm also going through a nail hole filling exercise. Tamiya putty seems to work fine on wood :lol:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Hello Mark, nice planking :clap: your a "better man than I am gugerdin" :laughing-rolling: ;) but seriously a good job will be an interesting diary !
Cheers Mike.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:06 am

Thanks Mike. It's a surprisingly challenging build for what looks like a simple boat. I'm sure I could have had a 'normal' hull planked a lot quicker.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 am

Nice looking boat kit Mark and what a great wedding gift.
hull planking looks excellent :clap: Good to have a full scale plant to work with, did it come with sails
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks Casper. I do like to have full sized plans to work from. One of the advantages of a traditional kit over a partwork.

It came with a square of material to make a sail...... and a full sized pattern !! Might need to borrow a sewing machine !!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:41 pm

After some cutting, sanding, filling, sanding, cursing, etc. I've finished tidying up the bow and stern.
They're not perfect, but hopefully they'll look OK under a coat of paint.

The temporary frame work came out without a problem too !! (Kinda glad about that !!)

Here's the internals in close-up. Still plenty of sanding to do, and excess glue to remove. There's also a broken frame to replace, and a couple of lose ones to re-fix :oops:

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:01 pm

Nice work Mark ! very tidy too :clap: :clap:
Cheers Mike.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Frames trimmed to size. I'm glad that job's done, I might stop catching and breaking them now :oops: :lol:

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Nice work Mark, watch out for those Minions they are tricky little S--- :laughing-rolling: ;)
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:19 am

Thanks Mike. That's my nail box ! Present from the daughter, but I don't need a pencil case. Only got the one pencil :laughing-rolling:

I'm really hoping that the paint will cover those glue marks properly ! It's almost impossible to sand the inside of the planks.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat May 06, 2017 2:34 am

After what seems like an eternity of sanding, filling, sanding, painting, rinse and repeat, I've got a painted hull.
I started brush painting, but that was a pain in the posterior. So I masked and started airbrushing, but it's too big and was takening ages. Finally I resorted to a rattlecan of Games Workshop white.

Here is the first internal plank fitted. It's the plank that the seats rest in, and has a special name, but I can't remember what it is :oops:

Hopefully I should make quicker progress now. I've got about 5 months to get it finished !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:48 am

The hull looks 100% under a coat of paint, hope you dont get the lancia and Brough parts mixed up :laughing-rolling:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat May 06, 2017 9:21 am

number1 wrote:The hull looks 100% under a coat of paint

Thanks !

number1 wrote:hope you dont get the lancia and Brough parts mixed up :laughing-rolling:

I should be safe - there's just a bit of difference in the size !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed May 10, 2017 5:40 am

Capping strips on ! These are 2x3mm, bent on the long side, not the short side. I thought they were going to be a real pain to bend, but they weren't. I soaked them in water for half an hour, then attacked them with a heater plank bender (big soldering iron with a big head !) and they went to shape no problem at all !

The keel is a bit shabby on the inside. I made some saw cuts to help it bend as it didn't want to otherwise, and the wood split where a pin went through. This is visible, so it's just not good enough !!

Simple solution. Take one of the left over inner planks, and glue it on top. I chamfered the edges just a little to make it look better. Now it looks like it's supposed to be there !! Plenty good enough :D

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Wed May 10, 2017 10:00 am

Coming along nicely, I don't envy you planking the boat, It was bad enough when I planked my Black Pearl
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Wed May 10, 2017 10:59 am

I've done several plank on frame models. This was the hardest, even though it had the least number of planks !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu May 18, 2017 5:26 am

Next up is the small sections of deck in the bow and stern. These are nice laser cut parts, with planks laser engraved. They are ply with a dark wood on the outside.
They are supported on three 2x2 strakes. The instructions say to glue the strakes in the hull, then glue the deck to them. Silly idea. The chances of getting three strakes all level, and at the same height are zero !! (For me anyway !)
I thought it was a much better idea to glue the strakes to the bottom of the deck, chamfer everything to fit, then glue the whole assembly into the hull.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun May 28, 2017 9:03 am

Now I've come up against a problem. These !!

They need to be curved. I thought that they were white metal. They look like white metal, but in fact, they are zamac. That nasty cheap zinc alloy that doesn't bend :angry-banghead: These are as much use as a chocolate teapot, and nowhere near as tasty :angry-banghead:

I thought I'd try recasting them, using some of the white metal left over from the Brough. There are plenty of offcuts, a few bits not used, the wheel and chain jigs. More than enough. However, not having any moulding or casting material, and not being able to find it in the shops easily, it's Blue Peter improvisation time.

They are a simple shape, so I hope to be able to just use an open mould. The plan goes something like this. Lightly coat the parts with vaseline as a release agent.
Make a simple mould by setting them in bath sealant. Flick them out, then fill the moulds with molten white metal, using a metal paint mixing tray as a crucible.
I think the white metal melts around 150-200 C and I think the silicon should stand that.

What could possibly go wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ships