Revell VW Barn Find

Wheeled vehicles in general - I'm not fussed how many wheels it's got !

Re: Revell VW Barn Find

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby casper » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Just noticed a school boy error :angry-banghead:
where the two parts attach (arrows) would have been better drilled and bolted with 0.6mm bolts but the wheels were already on so was going to use the tabs provided but if you look at the two points of contact the tops are the wrong way around :roll: I don't think I will take the 0.6 bolts out and turn them around :think:
Another school boy error :oops: (thanks Les) is the tires are the wrong way :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling:
time for a coffee i think :roll: oh dear!
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:25 pm

At least the tyres are an easy fix! I don't suppose anybody else would notice the other error anyway....
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:49 am

well that was fun :roll: I managed to remove the tyres without the whole thing crumbling to a pile of red plastic though I did have two small breaks to the brakes :roll: but hopefully these won't be seen after some dirt is added. The right wheel split so the tyre just fell out so I re-glued and fitted the tyre when dry.
All in all I think It went well :lol:
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:52 am

casper
General
General

Postby casper » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:12 pm

Bin trying to make one of these all evening :roll: :lol: not recommended after a couple of Pear ciders
most were rubbish and went in the trash :roll: but I managed to get one somewhere near :D It was difficult to get the scale somewhere close so a few attempts were made, It needs to be a bit taller so I have room to add handles to the sides but the basic shape is there. Few more tweaks and it should look ok next to the tractor and Van. I'm going to try to make a oil drum incinerator :think: and it should be easier to make...hopefully. :superlglue:

:)
casper
General
General

Postby steve131 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:24 pm

8-) Great work not at all rubbish :lol: . Bin enjoying this build from day one ,easy mistake to make with the tyres done it myself loads of times with my RC cars :doh: even heard of several garages doing it :o
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:20 pm

Time to put my idea to fruition :)
not gonna give too much away at this point but I need to lay some groundwork down. I gave the plank a good coating of watered down PVA and left to dry to seal the wood and give a key for the Sculptamold and rocks. The barn/shed will be on the right side so I need to make up the rear wall to give post centers.

casp
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:13 pm

change of plan :think:
I glued and pinned some strips of Balsa wood to the stand/plank to give an edge for the groundwork to butt up to and leave a nice clean border then I cut up the MIG "stoney steppe" matting and glued this around the edges with mod podge and held in place till dry with pins, the centre areas will be added with sculptamold and shaped to create an area where the tractor drives up and down into the yard. I drilled holes for the shed back wall to be fixed firmly in place when complete.

casp :)
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:18 pm

I went over the area again with PVA before adding the sculptamold.
I made a wet mix with a spot of PVA and a tiny drop of washing up liquid and just spread it with my fingers to get an even covering making sure I get all the way up to the edges but have it just slightly lower so when the soil mixture goes on later it levels out, well thats the idea anyway :pray: :)
After getting the area how I wanted it I wrapped the Van in Sandwich wrap and put it in place and worked the area around the tyres. I used a set of wheels from another tractor kit to run through the plaster to give some tracks. I wasn't going to add rocks to this diorama but one or two won't hurt and it will add more interest and a little hight to the lower areas. In hindsight it would have been easier not using the MIG mat but it looks pretty cool and the mixture is amazing, one or two areas will need some flock but it will help to blend it all together. The sculptamold is really nice to use and its nice to get your fingers into the mix, Its not as chalky as DAS and dries in about an hour but can be manipulated with water and It leaves a nice texture for the next step.

casper
General
General

Postby casper » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:27 am

ready for paint
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:31 am

rough base coat of MIG washable Mud avoiding the rocks

casper
General
General

Postby royjess » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:27 am

The base is coming along nicely :clap: :clap: :clap: I do find adding a base to a model really set the model of nicely
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:12 am

royjess wrote:The base is coming along nicely :clap: :clap: :clap: I do find adding a base to a model really set the model of nicely

Thanks Roy, I have been collecting various flocks and grasses and have a few different ready made fine and course soil and gravel mixes but for this one I will also be using some of my own mix to hopefully blend in the edges of the grassy area, more later :)
I think I will have a look see what static grass applicators are at Telford, the home made ones are fine for small work but if you want a more realistic look using various lengths of grass and will use it a lot a commercial one is better by far and you don't get any nasty surprises :scared-shocked: :laughing-rolling:
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:13 pm

I went back in with a sponge and an old brush and some mig washable mud around the damp or wet areas and when dry went in with some mig washable earth, the earthy colours are perfect and can be diluted or mixed together. I gave the rocks a leopard wash with Vallejo yellow ochre, dark earth and black then added more colour with a brush to get them to look something like the stones scattered about the grass matt. Some areas like under where the van will sit are still a little damp and will lighten up when dry.
Next step will be the ground scatter and gravel to help blend the edges of the grass to the muddy areas.

mark :)
casper
General
General

Postby steve131 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:47 am

Looking good 8-)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier