BSA DBD34 Gold Star - Conversion?

Wheeled vehicles in general - I'm not fussed how many wheels it's got !

Re: BSA DBD34 Gold Star - Conversion?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Sparbucks » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:10 pm

Thanks Mark.

Niggly bits and pieces today. Zero 'Clear' sprayed over the tank's red paint, then resin nuts and bolts with associated drilling for the fitting of front and rear brake stays plus the racing front number plate. Also started to assemble the clip on handlebars/fork tubes plus handlebar 'furniture' including a new clutch lever/grip assembly from the spares box (for better cable attachment) and which is now awaiting paint. :roll:

More anon.

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Sparbucks » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:41 pm

The building of several 'sections' for this conversion is progressing. The problem is, the more I prepare parts after reference to photographs from Mick Walker's book of 'The BSA Gold Star' and from the web, the more I see detail that, with a bit of effort, could also be achieved - but with more investment in build time. ( :hand: I think I heard a snigger from BA then!)

Take, for example, the rear brake rod and it's attachment to the brake operating arm/brake plate. It has an adjusting knurled knob behind the lever, and a tensionable spring in front of the arm. The kit provides none of the latter. Thank goodness for aluminium tube in small modelling sizes from Albion Alloys which made up the knurled knob body and the attachment to the brake arm for the rod to pass through. The small nut that will 'adjust' the spring (when I have wound it) was made by drilling an 0.45mm hole in a resin item for the rod to pass through. The pics show the whole assembly under construction, but as I said earlier, all these things take time. The rear chain tensioner bolts have been fabricated from Master Club resin bolts while the 'knurled knobs' on the brake rod were cut from stretched sprue. Painting and general fettling to complete the job will be done ASAP.

More anon.

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:51 am

Wow :O. Tiny details ! Looks fantastic Peter
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:21 pm

When my RB Motion 1/12 scale spark plug caps arrived, a very useful info sheet was included. The following may be of interest:

Spark Plug wire size equivalents:

1/24 = .011" - .016"
1/16 = .020" - .028"
1/12 = .027" - .035"
1/8 = .040" - .050"

For what it's worth.

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Sparbucks » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:16 pm

Goldie on hold for a few days while chasing Northern Lights!

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Good luck !!

A few years ago my brother and I went to Finland on a skiing hol, with the hoped for bonus of seeing the Northern Lights. We didn't even see the sun that week :angry-banghead:

Can't complain too much though as it snowed a lot and there was fresh snow virtually every morning :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Got lucky last night in Tromso - first clear skies and great display!

No plastic or white metal in sight though!!

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:49 pm

Nice one :D did you get any photos ? Not sure how easy there are to photo though :think:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:32 am

Apologies for 'off thread' comments!
Pics of Northern Lights need tripod and long exposures - depending on type of camera. We have some good pics but understand Lights seen in South UK as well. :roll:

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Sparbucks wrote:Apologies for 'off thread' comments!
Pics of Northern Lights need tripod and long exposures - depending on type of camera. We have some good pics but understand Lights seen in South UK as well. :roll:

Peter

They were probably street lights seen by youths coming out of dodgy nightclubs at 2 in the morning :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:54 pm

I don't know about throwing this kit in the bin, but my desk-top computer will be in there with it as well. I have just spent about an hour and a half trying to add some pics via Photobucket but strange things are happening including the loss of two complete sets of text for this post. I am not a happy bunny :angry-banghead:

So this post will pic-less.

Basically, we arrived back in the UK yesterday and I managed to sneak into the modelling room to do some work on the footrest assemblies. :whistle:

When clubmen bought off the shelf competition machines in the late 50's and early 60's, much use of the hack saw was made to make the machines more competitive. One of the first jobs was to shorten the length of the footrests and discard the footrest rubbers as these became very slippery when wet. Shortening the footrests also increased the angle of lean for cornering and bendwork.

The kit footrests are also too long so I reduced them to around 4mm but then had to beef up the far too thin foot-pegs by using Albion Alloys thin wall slide fit tubing. A bit of filing was in order to ensure that the rear brake foot operating lever fitted snugly inside the footrest mounting. Once everything was tickety-boo the internal projecting pieces of the foot brake and footrests were trimmed to length.

Once again, apologies for no pics for the time being.

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Sparbucks » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:08 am

Is anyone else having a problem with Photobucket?

Have just spent another half hour trying to post three pics - two you see here and a third with the footrests in situ

The Photobucket library page keeps 'freezing' and won't refresh. V annoying and frustrating :angry-banghead:

However, these two pics show the footrests being converted.

More anon - hopefully. Just had this page freeze as well while linked with Photobucket!

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Sparbucks » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:19 pm

This is for the fourth time of asking! Thank you Photobucket :angry-banghead:

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Nice neat work Peter.

I gave up with Photobucket ages ago. I've found www.imageshack.us to be much easier to use.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:15 pm

I am still unable to display my photographs due to computer glitches, but herewith the latest progress.

I did not like the look of my scratch built rear suspension units. I decided to make two more and ordered some larger bore aluminium tubing from Albion Alloys. Then using a variety of sizes of brass and aluminium tubing plus nickel rod, another spring from a ball pen and some plastic card for the shroud tops and spring bases, the parts were assembled and super-glued. When completed I was happier with the result, especially after resin nuts and bolts for the unit's base fixings had been added.

Secondly, the white metal magneto unit did not have a fixing strap which is very noticeable in reference photographs. I made one with thickish silver 'paper' (given to me by a club member some time back), some small diameter aluminium tubing and a resin bolt for the fixings.

Thirdly, when I was making the Tamiya RC166 bikes, Mark acquired for me a Hobby Design 'Detail Up' set which included a very realistic chain building set. Although not used on the Hondas, I thought this could be used to advantage on the Goldie and began to assemble the rollers into the chain sides. The result , although very fiddly to make, is very realistic. The set's rear wheel sprocket and gear box sprocket will also be used.

I only wish I could show you the pics, but I am hoping to get the computer sorted early next week. Very annoying. :cry:

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:41 am

It all sounds good Peter. Look forward to seeing it !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:45 pm

Fingers crossed I may have begun to crack the computer problem!

This is the magneto/dynamo assembly that didn't have a fixing strap. This was made from thickish silver paper and small diameter aluminium rod with a small resin bolt.

More anon - I hope!

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby number1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Glad to see you're persevering, love all these little details your adding, looking forward to your next update!
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Sparbucks » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:24 am

Thanks number1. I will now try and post some more pics!

As I said in my previous post, I was not happy with the rear suspension units so decided to make some new ones. The first pic shows one of the original units and parts of the new unit.

Two new rear suspension units courtesy of Albion Alloys rod and tube plus a biro spring!

The unit bases have now been painted as has the aluminium shroud's plastic top.

More anon.

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Sparbucks » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:37 am

So far so good with the computer. Everything seems to have speeded up now and working properly - so far...

Now to the chain. As I mentioned earlier, I had a Hobby Design chain set for the Tamiya RC166 which was unused so I decided to make use of it on the Goldie. Very fiddly and time consuming to make, but I think it looks a lot better than the Mr Hobby offering. I also utilised the Hobby Design gear box and rear wheel sprockets. Just hope it will all fit in OK! It should do, but strange things happen sometimes when modelling.

More anon.

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Cars & bikes