BSA DBD34 Gold Star - Conversion?

Wheeled vehicles in general - I'm not fussed how many wheels it's got !

Re: BSA DBD34 Gold Star - Conversion?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby casper » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Springs look really good Peter :clap:
And the chain will look great when fitted. looks like a very fiddly job :)
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Sparbucks » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi Casp - Thanks for that - and yes, the chain was fiddly.

The assembly starts here. For gluing the primary chain case, the timing case and the gear box, I used Evo Stick 5 minute Epoxy sparingly. The piece of wire you can see protruding from the gear box was used to help alignment of the cable hole in the gearbox/engine plate and the gearbox's clutch operating lever.

The clip on handlebars have been C/A'd into position and the front end can now be assembled. Four small resin 'fixing' bolts were C/A'd to the inside of the handlebars where they attach to the forks. At the present time the exhaust/silencer assembly is being dry fitted to ascertain the location of the silencer's P/E fixing plate.

More anon.

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:17 am

Looking fabulous Peter :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:55 pm

:clap: :clap: nice work Peter :)
casper
General
General

Postby Sparbucks » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Let the plumbing begin!

The wiring and pipework has started and I am using a mix of kit wire and some of the Preston Innovations fishing rubber line I used on my recently completed 'Dragonfly'. It is very soft and pliable giving a natural bend where required. It has to be painted black for my purposes but I have shown a before after pic to illustrate this.

More anon.

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Sparbucks » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:01 pm

Like the conversion, the assembly is taking (or seems to be) an equally long time. It doesn't help when I decided to change the part of the kit's headlamp support/fixing stays. They were going to be part of the racing number plate fixings but looked a little too fat for my liking, so I made a couple of replacements from a piece of sheet brass. I decided to keep the original white metal 'horseshoe' shaped fixing. A quick primer and a coat of black and they were ready in less than half an hour. The racing number plate and it's attachments were assembled using resin bolts.

I made a 'rubber' tank strap from two layers of latex masking film which were some unused off-cuts from my friend Mal Mayfield's Miracle Masks from a previous build. The strips were sprayed with Tamiya Rubber Black and then stuck onto the tank. In the meantime, the Amal TT Carburetter has been epoxied to the engine cylinder.

More anon.

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby number1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:00 am

Real sweet, coming along nicely, cant wait till she's finished :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Sparbucks » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks for that number1 - my main worry is that the whole machine, when all the sub-units come together, will not be 'square' due to the softness of the white metal and hours of handling and dry fitting. :cry: We shall see.

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby number1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Yes that can be a problem, the forks and wheel on mine needed a lot of tweaking to look anything like half decent :angry-banghead: as its easy to bend out of shape you have a chance of straightening things, good luck!
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Sparbucks » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks again number1. A lot of these problems have been self inflicted due to the conversion, but the learning curve experienced with this white metal kit has been well worth the effort in my view although I did have a few moans! If things do work out OK then it will be a very unique example! :dance:

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Sparbucks » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Back to the work bench after a short break and have spent some time preparing the swinging arm/suspension units and rear wheel assembly.

Much of the time has been taken up by fitting resin nuts and bolts to (strangely) the rear wheel, swinging arm and suspension units plus the rear brake security linkage. These had to be sprayed with primer and then Alclad White Aluminium.

However, as experienced by number1, I had a small disaster which was quite quickly rectified. While trying to 'adjust' the white metal sub-frame, the left hand rear top tube parted company with the suspension unit top fixing lug. This has been pushed back into position and super-glued but will need some very fine filler, a quick rub down and then respray :angry-banghead: However, it will also be an opportunity to respray the top suspension/frame lugs where the black paint has chipped away! Always try to turn a negative to a positive!!

So things have taken two steps forward and one step back - hey ho! It's nice to be back!

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby casper » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:29 am

looking very nice Peter :clap: :)
I'm sure all will look square when finished, cant wait to see her on both wheels. Are you doing a diorama for her to sit on.
casper
General
General

Postby Sparbucks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks Casp - I will be posting some pics later today of the bike on two wheels, but in a simple balsa jig in an effort to keep things straight while gluing/setting the front forks/wheel assy to the main frame.

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Sparbucks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:03 pm

Apart from Casper who has posted a comment today (thanks Casp), there appears to be little interest in this project which mirrors what Mark said on April 3rd about his 'quickie' build of the 1/72 Kawanishi Shinden. However, like Mark, I will continue with this (at times) exasperating conversion endeavouring to overcome my self inflicted problems.

After almost four months there has been a coming together of all the major sub assemblies. As mentioned earlier, my main worry has been that because of the 'bendability' of the white metal frame, the bike will finish up 'out of square'. There are another couple of problems with the meeting of the front end to the main frame, and they are a) the very heavy weight of the model, and, b) the small 'glueable' attachment areas at the fork crown. There will also be a tendency for the whole assembly to twist out of alignment while the adhesive is setting - a point that became obvious during a dry fit.

I decided to make a simple jig out of scrap balsa wood that will align both wheels and, with a 90 degree upright piece at the rear wheel, will help to keep things upright. The jig assembly was CA'd to a card baseboard. The photographs below show the first dry fit of the whole model with the top fork crown piece being adjusted towards it's location to ensure a good fit. Once everything is epoxied (for greater strength) the brass rods will be trimmed flush.

More anon

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby number1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:49 pm

Good idea making a jig for alignment, had to do a lot of tweaking to get my front and rear wheels in alignment, still not right but anymore fiddling will probably end in tears.
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Almost forgot K given ;)
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Sparbucks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks for the comments number1 and also for the 'k'.

Have now applied 5 minute epoxy to the top and bottom headstock areas. To be on the safe side, I am going to let it 'set' for 24 hours before working in that area trimming the two brass fork leg rods and fitting the instrument console. I hope the epoxy will be strong enough to support the heavy weight! :oops:

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:22 am

The balsa jig is a brilliant idea. Wish I'd thought of that when I was making the Yamaha. It would have been much easier than using the paddock stand all the time. This is one of my favourite builds at the moment Peter. It's just that I usually see the updates on my phone on the minibus to work, and it's not exactly easy to type a reply, Chinese roads and traffic being what they are :angry-banghead:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:51 am

Hi Peter
your jig to keep alignment is an excellent idea :clap: :clap: ..superb and simply affective. I will definitely be using this method if and when i decide to build a bike. I was supposed to attend a VMCC British historic race weekend in Anglesey this weekend with some friends but a sinus infection put pay to that and i spent yesterday in bed. Pre 1934 solos and outfits and three wheelers and Bears series catering for machines from the 1980,s were competing yesterday and today...weather permiting.
I would imagine there would be a few of these BSA,s competing and would have been a fabulous weekend of vintage racing, so sorry i missed it :(
www.britishhistoricracing.co.uk
Looking forward to your next entry Peter :) K posted :clap: :clap:
casper
General
General

Postby Sparbucks » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:13 am

Mark wrote:I usually see the updates on my phone on the minibus to work, and it's not exactly easy to type a reply,

That somehow reminded me of the punchline to a very rude joke Mark....."please excuse the shaky handwriting" :laughing-rolling:

Thank you for the kind comments guys. Hope you are feeling better Casp. - must have been really bad for you to have missed that VMCC event. I haven't been to one, but I have read about the exotic and 'special' machinery that turn up. If it is a two day event, perhaps you could put your head in today....family and weather permitting of course!

Just a couple of hours to wait. I am being disciplined about the curing time of the epoxy. I know that it was the 5 minute variety but I want to give it some extra curing time. Thinking about this important joint overnight, I came up with a better way of attaching the forks to the main frame :angry-banghead: ....never mind. However, if they do come apart, then I can utilise Plan 'B'.....

More pics later.

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Cars & bikes