Star Wars Bandai AT-ST

Robots, Terminators, Thunderbirds, Phasors, Light Sabres, etc......

Re: Star Wars Bandai AT-ST

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby casper » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:05 pm

Worked a little static grass (4mm spring) into some areas around the rocks. Dont try to do the whole thing at once it just won't work.
Work in small areas and see how it looks, You can add more as you wish. Go over the areas about three times shaking off the access in between applications and you should get what kinda looks like tuffs of grass, you can play about with it so it looks a little more natural and then leave to dry. I will be adding more as we go but pushed for time today so this is as far as I got. The spring (river bed) or puddle :lol: in front of the rocks will have some arid rock mixture layered in randomly and then some water added, I will be trying Aqua Magic for this but there are cheaper options but as its a small puddle you won't need much.

My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:09 am

Few old tree roots from the garden and some riverbed mix and then a shallow layer of aqua magic, you can only add a thin layer max 3mm then let it dry then you can add another layer if you want over the top to add depth. This stuff unfortunately takes an age to dry, at least 24hrs :whistle: :think: so while that's drying I can get back to the AT-ST for the final weathering.
casp
casper
General
General

Postby royjess » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:28 am

The base look awesome Casper :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:32 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o - another master class
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby casper » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:25 pm

Morris wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o - another master class

Your too kind Morris thank you for you kind comments matey :)
I'm still trying to get my head around the sawdust scatter, it acts differently to foam scatter and doesn't clump as well if you get my meaning. I did a little more static grass but this time added some Autumn mix because I felt it needed some darker areas. I got a right whack! from the homemade applicator today :laughing-rolling: It made me jump more than anything and I ended up with grass all over me :laughing-rolling: It was only a matter of time Mark :lol: :roll:
I still have the top of the bump to do but will leave that for now because I added a third thin layer of Aqua magic to the puddle. I gave the AT-ST a Klear coat this morning so that will be ready for washes tomorrow.
I wasn't going to use the round wood frame but it may finish the diorama off neatly but should I paint it or darken up the wood...food for thought :think: what do you think guys
casp
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:28 pm

royjess wrote:The base look awesome Casper :clap:

Thanks Roy :) I'm pleased with it so far. It looks a bit lost without a couple of trees some plants and and an Ewok though :think:
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:02 am

casper wrote:I got a right whack! from the homemade applicator today :laughing-rolling: It made me jump more than anything and I ended up with grass all over me :laughing-rolling: It was only a matter of time Mark :lol: :roll:

Hope it didn’t hurt too much, but I was wondering how long it would take :lol: :lol: :lol:

The round base definitely finishes it off. Not sure about the colour. See what it’s like with the asT AT in place. The base is looking amazing.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Mark wrote:
casper wrote:I got a right whack! from the homemade applicator today :laughing-rolling: It made me jump more than anything and I ended up with grass all over me :laughing-rolling: It was only a matter of time Mark :lol: :roll:

Hope it didn’t hurt too much, but I was wondering how long it would take :lol: :lol: :lol:

The round base definitely finishes it off. Not sure about the colour. See what it’s like with the asT AT in place. The base is looking amazing.

:laughing-rolling:
managed to get some more static grass down today but a little more to do. I didn't get a shock today :dance: had a rubber glove on ;) :whistle:

After the grass on the mound was applied I stuck the legs in place using the wood spike and Gorilla glue...stuck solid, I love that stuff and have a few different types now.
I tried some MIG slimy green dark and light washes in and around the legs up to the knee, It looks dark when you apply it but dries lighter so it will take some getting used to.

casper
General
General

Postby casper » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:25 pm

I purchased a MIG terrain mat a few weeks ago to see what the quality was like, It cost around £15 I think and measures 9x5". This one is called "stoney Steppe" and has lots of small rocks and different types of grasses, you can make out dandelion stalks and flower heads. Not sure what to do with it so I started cutting it up to add some tufts here and there around the rocks stuck down with thick superglue or PVA. I'm also using some sea sponge that you can colour but the colour is perfect for what I need. I added yet another thin layer 2mm of aqua magic so the level is rising nicely but this stuff takes an age to dry :snooty: :shifty: and I'm impatient :)
I think adding some Autumn static grass to the spring grass has give more depth and natural colour, bit too bright before I think. More Arid Earth gravel/sand was added at the ends of the puddle on top of a small amount of thin superglue to hold it in place.
e-bay is full of guys making and selling ready made tufts of grass at reasonable prices but to be honest its easy to do yourself but to save time they really come in handy.

casper
General
General

Postby casper » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:57 pm

well that's pretty much it. not sure about the base :think: I did it with earth brown and a dark green, I did try a wood stain but the plywood wouldn't soak it up. I also had a problem with the Aqua magic, it went foggy in the centre :think: one too many layers probably. Think I will try a different method next time. I used some MIG washes in and around the AT ST like engine grime and two different green washes, they work really well but took ages to dry. The grass is made from paint brush hairs and the larger plants are plastic sprayed green and washed, dont look too bad. I wanted to add a tree but didn't have the room :roll: so a twig from the garden give it a bit more interest :)

casper
General
General

Postby casper » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:58 pm

thanks for looking in :)
casper
General
General

Postby Morris » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:42 pm

Beautiful - I really like this, Casper - :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:03 pm

The force will be with you always. 8-)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:13 am

Beautiful work Casper. The base makes it so much more interesting.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:00 am

Looks amazing Casper. Lovely work. A display piece to be proud off :mrgreen:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:30 am

Thank you guys for your kind comments :) Fun build and nice to snap something together quickly and the fit is amazing with these kits. Some guys put LED's in the Bandi kits and it looks amazing but I didn't have the time to fiddle with tiny wires and bulbs (not my best subject :roll: )
The water was a let down, all was going well till the last pour, I think I may have caught the branch on the log and capillary action pulled it up the branch when I left it in the cupboard to dry. I watched a few (hundred) videos on flocking and most people go for the nylon flock instead of the sawdust flock, the saw dust tends to bleed colour into the groundwork or rocks when using Isopropyl and watered down PVA so learned a good lesson there. With the static grass its best to use the different lengths to get a more realistic look but I only have three types in the same 4mm length so a few more different types like dead grass and meadow grass are on my shopping list. If you are going to be doing a lot of dioramas or gaming stands its better to buy the cheaper branded plaster, the woodland scenics fine plaster is very good but I wasn't expecting a milk carton full to be £17 :shock: :snooty: so a search found me 2kg of fine plaster on the internet for £6..thats better :) As for the woodland scenics rock moulds they are superb and I plan to get some more when I visit IPMS, I thought £9 each wasn't too bad to be honest.
Its much more fun to use the sculptamold than the MIG matting for the groundwork and more rewarding, with the barn find build its kinda give me more work because I now need to blend the edges of the sculptamold into the matt so you dont see the join :think: should be fun. Still not convinced about the stand surround, its a little tall and kinda overpowers the model but Shane likes it so I'm a happy chappie :)
thank you again for looking in on the build guys and for your comments and K's :D :think: what's next

casper :)
casper
General
General

Previous

Return to Sci Fi