Return to the bench - Meng Panther A

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Re: Return to the bench - Meng Panther A

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks Mark.

I am in the process of marking out the camouflage and will replicate the original tank. It is a scheme that I have never done before and I am just a little nervous about doing it!

On the up side, I have found GD Panther A decals from Archer Fine Transfers in the US and purchased some last night!

The Panther G and Tiger II tanks in the Panzer Division Munchenberg were brand new from the factory and had the dark green base coat and no Zimmeritt.

This means that I could build Mengs Tiger II with interior as one of those and when I get hold of it, Rye Field Models' Panther G.

I did manage to locate Munchenberg division insignia.... Didn't bookmark it! :doh:

They also had 5 Tiger 1 on strength too. Various sites that list Munchenberg's TO&E differ as to their equipment. Looking at the differences in numbers and vehicles it may be impossible to get their correct strength at the start of the battle, but their last Tiger I was destroyed close to hitlers bunker which says that they were in action until the end, mainly to the north of Berlin and the Rostock area.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:08 pm

snapdragon wrote:Another update.

The panther is now approaching the final touches.

the Friul tracks are now on and it is beginning to look like the beast of war it is

What comes next is the camouflage. First I will have to patch the dark yellow base layer in places. once the camo is done, then I can paint and add the exhaust and equipment. Spare track links have already been prepared.

Thoughts

James

:shock: :shock: :clap: :clap: clean neat work so far, SD - watching with interest (template work on the road wheels was clever)
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Thanks Morris.

I hope this build will tempt you over to the dark side :D

The quickwheel sets are really good and save much time. It's a little bit of extra cost but saves so much frustration and :angry-banghead: . Quite often one set will do for models of the same vehicle or range, saving you money!

The results are flawless unless you slip up. The panther set I have used is for this Meng Panther, but once I get the Rye Field Models Panther and then the Takom offerings then the first thing I shall do is to aww how the templates fit the roadwheels in those kits. I may have to put those on one side while the company puts sets out for the Meng and Rye Field kits.

Doing steel rimmed roadwheels is a different technique which I will cover in possibly my next build..... Trumpeter's new E-100 STUG should be here in the next couple of days!

Nothing like a big tank with a honking great gun stuck out the front! Not small either.... Length: 334mm Width: 128.4mm the length of this panther is about 255mm!

It you want to have a look at the instruction book then it is available for download (PDF) here:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/5/1/2/1093512-32-instructions.pdf

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 pm

Very nice work there as usual James :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys.

The STUG has arrived and I just couldn't wait to get it on my bench..... it's a huge thing in 1/35 and will be one of my alternate history builds.

The Panther has had its camouflage added over the base coat and it is as close as I can get to the original vehicle!

The Decals are on the way from Archer Fine Transfers and are somewhere in the great postal systems of either America or UK! They are dry transfers and should look quite good when applied to the Zimmeritt.

Exterior equipment is lined up ready for a priming and painting session!

Comments/questions welcome
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Nice work with camo James :clap:
;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Very nice James. Good job in the camo.

Good luck with the dry transfers. To be honest, I'm not sure how well they will go down on the zimmerit, although they do look very good on a smooth surface. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with them.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Archers decals are here

on the blurb they are made from a micro layer of flexible ink and these are designed to go on to any surface. They do say that do not use testors or other solvent clear products to seal the decals but if you wish to do so then use acrylic or Future/Kleer.

The numbers and insignia look a bit ragged but they have been done that way deliberately to mimic hand painted onto Zimmeritt. I have been watching the zimmeritt application video for these on Archers website and will be tacking this tomorrow with my camera handy!

I will also be getting Eureka XXL Panther towropes to use on this kit.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:37 am

:shock: :think: :think: watching..........
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:24 pm

Me too. Looks like they’ve come since the old Verlinden style dry transfers.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:31 pm

The Archer dry transfers went on a treat and it is just me that got number positioning just slightly off despite using tape to mark out to keep things in line.

I just followed the video instructions. I didn't have ny sponge available to press into the ridges once the transfer is in place so I used a cotton bud instead.

Pushed the transfer into all the zimmeritt crevices with a cotton bud!

When you do get up close they really do look like they have been painted on as there is no transfer film at all like you have with decals and have to do a gloss surface, decal use the setting and sol solutions and then matt over them. Just position, rub on, press down and it's done!

you can rub your finger over them and they don't break or move!

Rye Field Models' new Panther G with interior has arrived and I had to stop myself starting it on opening the box! I took the opportunity of ordering it from the scale model shop online for £62 and spent extra putting it on a next day delivery. The first batch of this model is the limited clear upper hull and turret. :D

There is no metal gun barrel :cry: but there are some tidy features in the kit. I may go to Eureka XXL and order a complete set of panther Ammunition from their turned brass/metal ammunition range they are sharper than the kit ones as the detail on the ammo looks a bit soft. I will also get some Friul tracks as the kit ones have tiny plastic pins to put them together and I just don't trust myself, but this kit, having no side skirts then metal ones will hang just right because of their weight.

The Eureka XXL panther A tow and track ropes are here and so I can start putting on all the exterior equipment and finish this beast off! might treat myself to a G set from Eureka XXL as well. The kit stuff is fine it's just me giving myself extra work :laughing-rolling:
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:16 am

Good work James. The Archer dry transfers look brilliant. I shall certainly consider them for future builds.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:50 am

After my experience I'm considering asking them to start an aircraft range. They are much easier to handle and apply than normal decals and the stages to avoid silvering, air bubbles etc. They just look as if they've been painted on!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:34 am

That is cool about those dry transfers - excellent Panther too, sir! :clap:
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks Morris

I hope that this is tempting you to the dark side :laughing-rolling:

Armour can be pretty easy depending on the company.

I'm going to be starting Meng's Tiger II shortly and it comes in two ways.

There is the basic kit

This is just like most normal armour and is the exterior. Just build it out of the box with no problems!

Then there is the interior set:

You have to be careful when adding the interior because you end up jumping between two manuals and leaving parts out of the exterior kit. You need to spend a lot of time with both manuals and form a plan of action and get to know both the subject and the contents of the two boxes very well!

I managed to get the first manufacturing batch and so it has a nice metal barrel in the exterior kit. Other changes will be Friul tracks and a full load of metal turned shells from Eureka XXL.

With kits like these and the new Rye Field Models Panther G you need to know what display options are possible with the kit(s) and with that how you want your model to look at the end. With this big cat Meng have been thinking about this too. with care it will be possible to be able to lift off the roof of the turret and upper hull to display the inside. This also means that you have to think long and hard on just how you are going to paint this beast on the exterior without getting any inside! Sometimes you have to work backwards to go forwards and quite often a jump or two sideways!

With Mengs Panther all there is to do is to add the fire extinguisher, AA mount on the commanders cupola along with the gurtsack and MG plus the tow ropes, track cable and antennae and it's done. Really the hardest thing was to get the flaming Zimmeritt to stick!

I'm going to play with the large parts of the Tiger II now just to see if my display plan will work!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:56 pm

Here we are.... Panther A command variant

FINSHED!!

A couple of spare track links removed to show turret number

B&W versions

Questions, comments etc welcome

Meng Tiger II with interior coming next!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Superb build James, Telford this year?
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:51 pm

I'm off to Telford with Zoukei Mura's Nick and HS129 in mind and a wad of cash in my pocket!

I must get in touch with the Old Man and put my order in!

I never do competitions as you can't trust the judges to know their stuff. This comes from entering a competition locally. I will only take builds down for Manufacturers stands (Hong Kong Models) or the ZM guys. it does likit to what I can bring back if I am already carrying something, but maybe this year I will have an extra body with me!

You will know where I am as mine is the parade ground scream at the food and refreshment prices at that venue.... they will suck your spending cash! This year I will visit my local Greggs for a couple of sausage rolls and a local sandwich provider the previous day.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:54 pm

Well done James, a great build as usual :clap: :clap: :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby number1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:53 pm

snapdragon wrote:I'm off to Telford with Zoukei Mura's Nick and HS129 in mind and a wad of cash in my pocket!

I must get in touch with the Old Man and put my order in!

I never do competitions as you can't trust the judges to know their stuff. This comes from entering a competition locally. I will only take builds down for Manufacturers stands (Hong Kong Models) or the ZM guys. it does likit to what I can bring back if I am already carrying something, but maybe this year I will have an extra body with me!

You will know where I am as mine is the parade ground scream at the food and refreshment prices at that venue.... they will suck your spending cash! This year I will visit my local Greggs for a couple of sausage rolls and a local sandwich provider the previous day.

James

Hope to see you their, accommodation booked for the weekend :dance:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Military Vehicles