Wizarding World Calligraphy

Heard about a new partwork ? Tell us here

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby royjess » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:04 pm

Not sure if this is live or a test, judging by the fact that there is no mention of what the free gifts are, I assume its a test.

Looks like a beautiful pen set that will sit nicely on my desk. Each pen designed to look like a wand straight out of the Harry Potter books/films.

It don't say how many there are issues in total.

Sign up today to receive the first three issues for only £3.49 I can't say if that is the price for each issue or the total for the first 3 ?

From issue 4 onward they cost £4.99 each.

My hand writing skills are terrible, so hopefully I will learn to write neater with some practice with help from these mags.

I've subscribed to these and I personally only want a few of these for my desk and probably will cancel my subscription after I have enough (or I may continue to collect there if these turn out to be great quality and I really like them)

https://en-gb.eaglemoss.com/creacrafts/ ... alligraphy
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Re: Wizarding World Calligraphy

Postby wingnut2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:18 pm

Hi Roy :) sadly the days for "Ink pens" have gone :( a good PC and Printer is all that's needed these days, who wants inky fingers :lol:
W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:37 pm

wingnut2 wrote:Hi Roy :) sadly the days for "Ink pens" have gone :( a good PC and Printer is all that's needed these days, who wants inky fingers :lol:
W2 ;)

Who said anything about actually using the ink pens? :roll: Like I said, these will sit nicely on my oldie worlde desk. I already have a silver inkwell/letter holder sitting on my desk not being used, but makes a nice decorative piece.

As for actually writing, there are times that I don't use my laptop for writing, printer ink cost a fortune if I want to print things off, and sometime a note pad and pen still is very much used by myself on a daily basis.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:48 pm

royjess wrote:
wingnut2 wrote:Hi Roy :) sadly the days for "Ink pens" have gone :( a good PC and Printer is all that's needed these days, who wants inky fingers :lol:
W2 ;)

Who said anything about actually using the ink pens? :roll: Like I said, these will sit nicely on my oldie worlde desk. I already have a silver inkwell/letter holder sitting on my desk not being used, but makes a nice decorative piece.
As for actually writing, there are times that I don't use my laptop for writing, printer ink cost a fortune if I want to print things off, and sometime a note pad and pen still is very much used by myself on a daily basis.

Sorry Roy :oops:
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:50 am

wingnut2 wrote:Sorry Roy :oops:

Your apology accepted :)

I know that you have a dark sense of humour and we are all entitled to our opinions. But your sense of humour and your ability to put a negative spin on all the post on here are wearing thin.

It's just respect at the end of the day!!! :)

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Roymattblack » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:05 pm

Personally, I can't see this one going anywhere.

The days of 'writing' are sadly, long gone for the 'new' generation.
Ok, nice pens, a nice idea but how is this going to create a part-work???
What is issue 3, 4, 5 etc ? different sheets of paper?
Roymattblack
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby royjess » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Roymattblack wrote:Personally, I can't see this one going anywhere.

The days of 'writing' are sadly, long gone for the 'new' generation.
Ok, nice pens, a nice idea but how is this going to create a part-work???
What is issue 3, 4, 5 etc ? different sheets of paper?

At the end of the day, each to their own. I've been looking for a nice pen set/quill to sit on my desk. Inside our home is filled with quirky items as each room has some sort of theming to it. Our lounge has some oldie woldie feel to it, but with unusual items. My desk is an old desk with hidden secret compartments. I also have some wizardry items sitting on my desk and these pens will fit nicely (and don't forget that I was a professional magician for a good few decades, so anything magical interest me). Like I said in my original post, I'm not initially planning to collect the full set, just enough to decor my desk, but I may go for the full set if I like them.

There seems to be a lot of interest in these on social media, so even if these are not for you, there will be others that will purchase these just because they are Harry Potter fans and others will purchase these because they like writing.

Each issue will contain a different designed wand pen from the harry potter film. As for the calligraphy side of it, I'm sure that a quick internet search will teach me on how to do it, so this part of the magazine will be just a bonus for me.

This collection is not a partwork as such, but more of a collection. I also wouldn't completely right off writing for the younger generation. You will be surprised that there are many of all ages that still like to write by hand. LP records were once written off as CD's and down loads became popular, but in recent years LP's have made a comeback and not just with the older generation either.

These pens may not be for everyone, but I posted on here just in-case they may be of interest to some of our members.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wbushby » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:07 pm

Thanks for the post. This is an perfect gift for my daughter who is a writer but still uses pen and paper in the planning stages of her novel.

Also she has the world's worst handwriting so the calligraphy practice can't hurt.
wbushby
Cadet

Postby Roymattblack » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:50 pm

Hello Roy - Roy here... lol.

I totally agree that there SHOULD be part-works to suit all tastes.
I just personally see this one as very limited.
Yes, Harry Pooter fans might be keen, and I also agree that 'proper' hand writing is amazing.
I was a sign writer for donkeys years but it was taken over by sticky computer cut vinyl.

I too love a really nice pen set but I can buy an amazing one-off calligraphy kit these days for about 2 weeks worth of the average part work cost.
I'm just saying that as nice as this looks, buy the first few issues as I really don't see this lasting the course.

Roy.
Roymattblack
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby Roymattblack » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:57 pm

wbushby wrote:Thanks for the post. This is an perfect gift for my daughter who is a writer but still uses pen and paper in the planning stages of her novel.

Also she has the world's worst handwriting so the calligraphy practice can't hurt.

If your daughter is planning on writing a book, DON'T let her write it long hand.
I know from published experience, almost NO agents will even look at a hand written book these days.
It would cost a lot of money to get it typed into the correct format - double line spacing, justified text of a particular size and font - agent vary on that one.

If she's really keen, get a copy of this years Writer and Artists yearbook.
It's worth it's weight in gold and contains the contact details of just about every literary agent in the UK, and what you need to do to contact them, and their specific requirements.
A hand written submission will be returned without even being looked at.

Trust me - got the tee-shirt - and two (soon 3) published novels.

Roy.
Roymattblack
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby royjess » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:59 pm

wbushby wrote:
Also she has the world's worst handwriting

:text-welcomewave:

Sorry, but I take the crown for the worlds worst handwriting :D

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:20 pm

I have a couple of old ink pens and quill pens that I use for illustrating and love them especially with the array of Inks on the market. I believe Rick Wakeman has a very impressive collection.
The written word will always have its place
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:02 am

Calligraphy is a form of art, just like painting, cake decorating or model making.
Partworks make an easy introduction and encourage people to have a go.

It’s not for me, but I think it will be successful
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:58 pm

:text-goodpost:

casper wrote:I have a couple of old ink pens and quill pens that I use for illustrating and love them especially with the array of Inks on the market. I believe Rick Wakeman has a very impressive collection.
The written word will always have its place

Good point Casp, I didn't think that these will also appeal to ink pen collectors too

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 am

Definitely looks like a test. Either there were none to be sent out in the first place, or the demand has been so popular, all the test issues have already been allocated

Imagewand pens by Roy Lee, on Flickr

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Return to Partwork previews