Re: Late Father's Day prezzie

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Morris » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:44 pm

Awesome - ! I fancy the airscale instr panel too, to be honest ...... :D
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
Special Hobby 1/32 scale P-36A Pearl Harbour Defender
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:13 am

You have to do a lot of work with the airscale panels including painting them and the dials are decals. I am just about to fire up my PC and go and have a look at Eduards interior set. Usually the panels are already painted and they have recently upgraded their coloured etch with the dials etc having clear blobs over them so once it is all together it looks like they have glass faces in them!

You do get much more than just the panels in the set, whereas airscale just had the panels. Each to their own though!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:42 pm

Yeah, true on the airscale stuff - let me know what you find from Eduard
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:32 pm

Eduard's interior set takes the cockpit to a whole new level.

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/23032.pdf

The engine set adds extra brackets and sharpens up the kit detail, replacing some of the kit with etched parts. I think this set is mainly for having the engine open. Adds extra dressing. Not knowing my options or how the kit is designed in the engine department and cowling etc means I can't advise on this yet, although it does look promising to make the cowlings removeable by adding tiny magnets??????

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/23033.pdf

There are two sets of masks to choose from. I will probably go with the LX006 TFace masking set as it gives ou masks for both inside and outside the canopy etc. When I get the option of this I never prime first and just ose the finish colours on the inside and outside. This means that no grey primer will be seen, just the colours through the clear glass.

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/lx006.pdf

I won't be going on the steel seatbelt set, but waiting for HGW's set.

Again, I am thinking that painting the insignia will be the better thing to do with the surface that is on the fuselage and wings. It will also look better and I am hoping that someone will produce masks.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 pm

Some excellent parts from Eduard, almost tempted to get a Hellcat just to add those extras :laughing-rolling:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:30 pm

Just found out that Top Notch models are doing insignia masks etc for the Hellcat for the American paint jobs

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/topnotch-tnm24-1006-grumman-f6f-5-hellcat--1227055

beats messing with huge decals!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:08 pm

Ok... to add to the extras list, August sees Eduard release Wheel bay etched set.

HGW already have their Hellcat seatbelts available

https://hgwmodels.cz/en/seatbelts/1000-hellcat-seatbelts-124-124511.html

It looks like once more stuff gets on the market then there's going to be some cracking builds!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:55 pm

Absolutely - might start building my Hellcat stash
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:23 pm

I would wait until Master Models release their barrels and the wheel bay etched stuff is available then you have everything to hand and you can plan accordingly.

As an extra bit of information, ZM are releasing the short nose variant of the Ki-45 with two sub-variants to build in one box. Initial release is August at the big American model show they go to. I am going to see if I can get two kits for Telford and hopefully the HS 129 should be released too if it is ready.

You interested?
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Appreciate it James, but I'm a bit back logged at present :cry: also SWMBO will remind me why you don't aggravate a Norfolk girl :?
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Ok. Clear the backlog while building up the AM for the Hellcat and tell SWMBO that you want to make a fantastic job for her on the Hellcat which means getting a clear head, mind and bench!

There's plenty of time to get the ZM kits and I can probably get a discount for you!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:50 pm

:laughing-rolling: .....deal!
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby billy04 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm

Hellcat F6F, one of my favourite pieces! You are very lucky, your family has a good taste :) My daughter lives in Spain so I couldn't have any Father's Day prezzies but she promised me to take me to the Maritime Museum in Barcelona next month. I'm looking for a commercial property in Tenerife and gonna take a vacation for a month. Finally it's a great opporunity to spend some time with my daughter and grandson. Besides there are some great ship models, I will be sharing with you a lot of pictures :)
Last edited by billy04 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
billy04
Cadet

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:01 am

Bit of a debate on going on other sites about painting the big cat in her current -5 configuration offered by Airfix in the USN tritone blue. But I think thus far it seems by the time this particular mark was released, all USN aircraft assets were painted gloss sea blue - as per the Airfix literature.....
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 am

I think the gloss sea blue is right. There are exceptions to the rule and it only takes one period picture of the three tone colour scheme on a 5 series Hellcat.

While on the painting side, Top Notch will be releasing camouflage mask set for the FAA as well as a masking set for FAA aircraft for both Pacific Theatre and standard FAA for 800 squadron.

There is also a rumour about some resin from someone, but I don't have any leads or info.

AM companies are all over this kit as they were with the Tiffy and it just seems right to sit on our hands, give them some time and see what comes out!

My first Hellcat is being shipped on Tuesday and should be in my hands on Thursday I reckon!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:24 am

Be interesting to see what you think when it arrives, James - I think it's awesome :D - I'm sticking with the GSB scheme on the box art....
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Are there any in Yorkshire yet Snapdragons :?:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:54 pm

Carrier Deck Landing Operations here in Yorkshire have been successful and 1 Hellcat landed 2 hours ago.

I have not had time to have a good look around it yet and nothing more than a brief scan of the instruction book but I am well impressed. There is much more to this than meets the eye and Airfix has done it again!

As there is different wing positions and wheels up or down I must recommend that those who get this sit down with the instruction book and work out which stages, sections etc needs to be in their build and what doesn't. It is vert much a complex build with lots of parts with some being used for wheels up and others for wheels down. Likewise for wings deployed or folded.

It is my intention to do a FAA one first....

https://topnotch-success.net/vinyl-masks/camouflage/royal-navy/grumman-hellcat-faa-vinyl-camo-mask/

https://topnotch-success.net/vinyl-masks/insignia/royal-navy/hellcat-i-faa-800-sqn-lt-blythe-ritchie-insignia-masks/

Morris, Rather than kit decals other than stencils you might want to consider this

https://topnotch-success.net/vinyl-masks/insignia/usa/f6f-hellcat-us-navy-vinyl-mask-for-airfix-1-24-scale-kit/

Lots of stuff coming out for this kit. Just have to wait and see what's going to be released!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks for info, James - I was hoping you would be impressed with the kit also - know I am for sure :D
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:10 pm

I need to get a really good idea of how they have engineered the wing fold to see if it may be possible to make it operate.

I do like the instructions. Very much like the Tiffy, but not as good or comprehensive as ZM stuff. It's very easy to make a mistake and get lost with multiple pose options on one page.

My initial thoughts are to have my FAA with wings open and wheels down, loaded for bear with rockets and bombs on, gun bays open and engine panels removeable... tiny magnets hidden as much as possible may be useable.

Will be doing a USN sharkmouth one. Would like to make the wings moveable if possible on that.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to The Mess Room