What a Day I have had!

The place for idle chatter

What a Day I have had!

Sponsor

Sponsor

What a Day I have had!

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:26 pm

This weekend I have been at the Yorkshire War Experience Which has had wonderful weather and re-enactment menbers from all over the country.

While of a photographic excursion around the huge site I took a tumble and landed on my camera and lenses. My long lens(Sigma 150-500) just doesn't works any more, or at least the sensor isn't picking up an image and the Nikon 24-70 main walkabout expensive lens took a major hit to the glass at the front and is scratched to hell and there is no way I can take any photos as although the body seems fine mechanical wise and the Nikon lens works Everything needs a stripdown, check and refurbishment/maintainance/repair.

I will have to do this under my insurance and god knows how long it is going to take etc. You all know what these people are like.

This means that I won't be able to post photos of my builds for a while but I will still be working on the Lancaster so there is going to be a gap in progress!

Sorry about this, folks!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: What a Day I have had!

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:33 pm

Sorry to hear, James...
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
Special Hobby 1/32 scale P-36A Pearl Harbour Defender
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:06 am

Heavy duty Snapdragons ,going to miss you . Hope you get it sorted.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:48 am

oh man that's an expensive tumble matey, sorry to hear that. Hope you have a good insurance and they sort you out with a repair or better still a replacement soon.
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby wingnut2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi James, sorry to hear that, cameras can be fixed, how are you ?
W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:40 pm

I am fine thanks. Just a little steamed.

I am going to E-mail Nikon UK tomorrow as the Camera is a D700 and they have not been made for some time. Someone on another forum suggested that I speak to them nicely and they may just take it for spare parts and replace it with a newer model. The lens is one of these:

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/nikkor-lenses/auto-focus-lenses/fx/nikkor-24-70mm-f-2-8e-ed-vr

It is a nice piece of glass, fast and responsive and takes outstanding stuff in all lights and weather inside and out. It is also built like a tank and very expensive but so worth the investment!

The Sigma lens 150-500 isn't made anymore either and cost me around £800. I will be contacting them too to see what they suggest. This is a very nice piece of glass too.

I am trying to get round not having to use insurance as it is always a hassle and a headache!

On the upside, lurking forgotten in a bag under the stairs is a Fuji S500 Digital which after putting new batteries in still works and has now been pressed into service. S ee my update on transport and storage boxes! :D
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:20 pm

:dance: Can't keep a good man down ,new old camera works well 8-) . Would show camera \lens people some of your photos you did with their excellent product and waiting to do some more :think:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have decided to go through the insurers.

If I am lucky and I get on well with the assessment guys then I may end up with a new body. The D700 was released in 2008 and I am sure I bought mine then. In reality the body is just dirty, missing some of the rubber grips etc and is looking its age for being carted around war zones, re-enactment weekends, holidays abroad etc.

The insurers say I am covered for up to £5000 with a £200 excess. I think the D-700 bo0dy cost me £2000 when I bought it. These are a one off purchase for me and I do look after my stuff!

The Nikon lens was repaired under insurance 5 years ago and I do know that it went back to Nikon for it and it is a really nice piece of glass. I do know this can be repaired and again just needs rubber grips replacing and a new front glass and checking for shock damage. This lens is one of the expensive ones and is the main one I use for taking photos of my builds. that's why the pictures are so clear.

I have been looking at the Sigma lens website and the lens I have is no longer made. It doesn't look affected at all but doesn't attempt to auto focus or anything and when the camera takes a picture, nothing appears on the sensor or card - just a black picture!

This would be the replacement like-for-like.

https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lens-item/150-600mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-s/

The body replacement would be the D850 like-for-like as on release the D700 was the second in the Nikon pro-line just below the D3 which was the top of the range dogs whatsits etc.

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/digital-cameras/slr/professional/d850

Here's hoping and I will be sitting by the phone tomorrow and hope to get this sorted soon!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:28 pm

spent part of the morning conversing with the insurance people.

Now the people who inspect these things tell me that the Nikkor 24-70 lens is beyond economic repair to the damage must be more that a couple of chunks out of the filter holder, a scratched front glass and some loose rubber grips so a replacement is in the offing for that.

They say that the Sigma 150 -500 is repairable but I am still in the dark as to what is wrong with it, unless something inside is out of alignment or something.

The D700 body can be repaired. I thought this was the case as it still fires up and just needs new rubber grips and a good clean and service.

Of course, they have passed all the stuff along to their repairers which is an authorised Nikon/Sigma repair place and they will carry out a further inspection and effect replairs etc.

It seems that for the Nikkor lens I might have slightly more replacement options than I thought. It was mentioned that I may choose a different lens and pay the differernce but I already had a £200 Excess to pay!

I might look at getting another coin jar going for some new camera stuff or maybe a go fund me site!!! Trouble is that the pro stuff is expensive!

I may treat myself to a new camera bag!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Sounds like its getting sorted quite quick ,got an estimate date when repairs \replacement be in Yorkshire?
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:40 am

No estimate. Just wait for an email or phone call
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Spent the last 4 days chasing this.

Yesterday the camera body and Sigma 150-500 lens was returned. The camera looks cleaner but still has one of the grips not reglued back in place and one grip is missing. It should have been replaced, but wasn't.

Also, the body doesn't look as if any repairs was done at all but just a clean. The button that shows the pictures taken on the screen doesn't function, as neither does the menu button. Nothing comes up on the screen. There are other issues too!

I should also have received a written report on the work that was done to the camera and lens but there was nothing in the box. Also not included was the replacement Nikon lens. The Lens is being sent by Wex Photo and Video (warehouse Express) and should be with me tomorrow!

The Sigma lens is making a lot of noise when in use and there is the same focusing issue.

I spent this afternoon yelling (well, not exactly) ad both the insurance people and their valuers/repairers. THe body will be returned on Monday and so it starts again!

Insurance is truly the white mans burden!

Does anyone know just exactly what I can demand the insurance people do?
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Chased up the repairers again this morning after they consistently failed to email or phone me.

The Nikkor 24-70 lens according to them is the non-VR version they have and so have replaced it with a new one as they couldn't make an economical repair. Not really happy, but I don't have the original box to go with!

Today they said that they are going to replace the D700 body and Sigma 150-500 lens with new gear! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

They won't tell me what they are proposing as they want the insurance company to OK it first before they talk to me about my "options".

My next call was to the insurers themselves and I explained what had been happening and all the problems and issues I had been going through with their suppliers and repairers and that I was not a happy bunny and there had been plenty of :angry-banghead: on my end as well as a failed or non-existant repair and that this had dragged on much longer than the insurers official timescale etc. The phrase "you can teach a Monkey to do better than this" was used!

I told them that the current equivalent in the Nikon Catalogue is the D850 compared to 2008 when I bought it and the Sigma lens' equivalent is the 150-600 Sport version. I also told them that I understand that the D850 is an expensive bit of kit, but it is around the same price I originally paid. Isaid that the decision is up to them, but I am not happy in the way that the claim has been handled by their valuers and repairers.

Let's see what happens!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi James :) is your insurance "old for new" ? or just an amount of cash ? just a thought.
If it was me I would e-mail them that you are not happy and are considering contacting the "Ombudsman" you might see things happening.
Just a thought.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:58 pm

It is new replacement for old gear up to the value of the old gear when bought new.... :doh:

The claim has a maximum of £5000 on it and the Nikon Nikkor lens has already been replaced. There has been an issue with that. I said it was the VR version, The repairers, Bevalued say not and they say they still have the lens and it is not a VR. I can't prove it was anymore so... Humph!

I have a brand new one of these downstairs. It is what I use when I post my pictures of my builds.

https://store.nikon.co.uk/nikkor-lenses-normal-zoom/af-s-nikkor-24-70mm-f-2.8g-ed-/JAA802DA/details

I always thought I had this version of the lens

https://store.nikon.co.uk/nikkor-lenses-normal-zoom/nikkor-24-70mm-f-2.8e-ed-vr/JAA824DA/details

I can't prove it so ho hum!

Bevalued have sent a report along with recommended replacements for the D-700 and Sigma 150-500 lens. Neither are made any more.

It is down to the insurers who should have all the details on their computer system by now along with my complaint about the way this has been handled.
Now, I am hoping they will be generous and ok tis as a replacement

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/digital-cameras/slr/professional/d850

I will point out that the price is NOT the street price. and the insurance company certainly don't get stuff at those prices. Probably trade or lower.

now, Bevalued's supplier is Warehouse Express and this is their price and website

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/nikon-d850-digital-slr-camera-body-1636121/

They can certainly be bought cheaper!

https://www.cotswoldcameras.co.uk/nikon-d850-body-1128-p.asp

The Sigma Lens has been replaced by this one.

https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lens-item/150-600mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-s/

The old Sigma was a sharp piece of glass and I caught images like these with it at events

Shop price from my local Leeds guy

[url]Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens - Nikon[/url]

The insurance company know I am not mad at them, but am Furious with their appointed agents. Let's see what happens!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:06 pm

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:37 pm

Finally a result!

Not what I was hoping for, but I think I may have set my expectations a little too high.

The final result is a Nikon D750, Nikon 24-70 2.8 Lens (non VR) and the standard version of the Sigma 150-600 lens. Not the sports version which is fully weather sealed etc.

They were going to give be a £1599 voucher for Currys to get the D750 body, but I pointed out that it was cheaper by £200 on the actual Nikon website and £300 from their own suppliers. In return for saving them money I asked if that an SD card could be included as a sweetner as the D700 storage is Compact flash. They got the OK from the Insurance people so in the next 2 days I should receive:

Nikon D750 body
Sigma 150-600 C lens
128Gb SD card.

I will admit that the camera is an upgrade to the D-700. I was hoping I would wrangle a D-850, but that was a big NO! Never mind, I tried!!!

Time to start some reading!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:43 pm

Glad to hear, James - Hope I'm not behind the times, but I've just now seen those pics in the prior post - they're awesome....The Lanc is pretty cool!
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut2 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:50 pm

:text-goodpost: I'm with Mo on the lanc pic, you must have had a high shutter speed and quick eye to capture that one.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:20 pm

This is the thing about Nikon. Those photos were done with the D700 in point and shoot mode as you don't have the time to mess with settings, you have to let the camera AI think for itself and this is what you pay the money for.

Just let it do all the work. Just point and start pressing the shutter. The above pictures ware taken with the old Sigma 150-500 at 500mm. That lens could be a bit soft when doing movement photos like the above but it is not really noticeable and is partly due to the D700 focusing system on fast shooting.

The D750 has a faster and sharper AF system and a 24.5 MP sensor. The D700 had a 12MP sensor and the focus subject tracking is faster in the D750.

I should be able to get some details build shots in most kinds of light without flash now!

Just have to sit by the door now!!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to The Mess Room