Adhesive ?

The place for idle chatter

Adhesive ?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Adhesive ?

Postby wingnut2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi Guys :) I was "scratching around" on YouTube and I came across this posting but I found it very surprising in the way he applies the adhesive to bring parts together :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2cFTsP2IDM
What are your thoughts ? or is that the way you work ? I would be interested to know ?

If you thoughts or your opinions are "NEGATIVE" or "CONDESENDING" then please keep them to yourself thanks.
It is not my intention to offend anyone but if the "cap fits" ect, I look forwards to your reply's

W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Adhesive ?

Postby number1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:40 pm

Thats the way I glue parts together when I use liquid cement (Humbrol in my case)
https://www.humbrol.com
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Hi Les :) thanks for your reply as always, It's been a long time for me plastic kit wise, all we had back in the days (50yrs ago) was the Airfix glue in tubes and I always ended up with more glue on my fingers than anywhere else :laughing-rolling: not to mention getting "high" because of the smell of the stuff :doh: :laughing-rolling:
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:21 pm

From what I can see in the video, that is how I use glue, the Tamiya thin is so light it don't go on gloppy.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:08 pm

I must have around 15 different glues but only use about three. Humbrol poly cement, Tamiya extra thin instant grab is excellent but can get everywhere if you're not careful.
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby wingnut2 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi Guy's, thanks for your thoughts and advice :) but :think: but from what I have seen from some of builds on the forum parts are painted then glued, so can this "flooding" technique (I will call it) be still used :?: without affecting the paint job ?
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:02 pm

I use both methods.

If painting parts first, then carefully remove the paint on the area's where it is to be glued. Gluing parts that have paint on them don't stick well.

I stick parts together before painting if they are to be the same colour and using filler to fill in any joins.

I paint parts first if the parts are to be painted with different colours, then I carefully scrape off the paint where they join together before gluing.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi Roy :) thanks for that, it all sounds a bit "complicated" for me anyway, I was born at a very early age :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:24 pm

wingnut2 wrote:Hi Roy :) thanks for that, it all sounds a bit "complicated" for me anyway, I was born at a very early age :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
W2 ;)

It's very simple, if you are gluing together say for example your VW Van, you would glue together the main body first, then you would use filler on any visible joins and then when the filler dries, you would sand the join flat and then paint the Van body one colour.

If you were adding the bumpers which would be of a different colour, you would paint these first before you glue them on. Where the parts need to have glue applied, you would gently scrape away the paint using either some emery paper, nail file or a sharp pin. Apply the glue and then stick your bumpers to the main Van body which you have previously painted. Very simple

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:14 pm

He is using what is known as capillary action to make the glue spread around the edges. This is the usual way for this type of glue to be used, although there are different ways you can use various glues and you can use different methods throughout a build depending on what is going to be joined.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:36 pm

snapdragon wrote:He is using what is known as capillary action to make the glue spread around the edges. This is the usual way for this type of glue to be used, although there are different ways you can use various glues and you can use different methods throughout a build depending on what is going to be joined.

Hi James :) thanks for your advice.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to The Mess Room