a "model" of a different sort

The Showcase, where you can display your best work.

The rule for this board. One model (or collection) per thread. Thread title should be the name of the model.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Experten » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:25 am

It has been suggested to me that some of you might be interested in my other main hobby. I build and restore wooden canoes, as well as collect canoes. The oldest canoe I own was built in 1903, and I have several that were built prior to 1940. My wife loves the canoes, but when you have 11 of them, including one that is 25 feet long, storage is an issue. I have 2 10' x 40' storage units, one being mainly canoes. I have 2 15" boats in the other, a 1954 Peterborough outboard runabout, and a 1937 Old Town Canoe Co. sailboat, one of 7 made.

I have enclosed a picture of me and a canoe I built for my 77 year old Father. The canoe weighs 35 pounds, and is 9 1/2 feet long. It is covered in aircraft Dacron. I have made a couple of friends in the UK paddling community, and am contemplating going for a paddle when I am next there. It seems that most of the paddles happen on the canals that apparently are everywhere over there!
Attachments
009.jpg
009.jpg (64.35 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
Mark
The crazy Yank
Current builds: Altalya Citroen 2CV, Fabbri-Centauria LaFerrari, DeAgostini Shelby Mustang, DeAgostini Jaguar, Hachette Lancaster, (and one or two others)
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Re: a "model" of a different sort

Postby chill » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:15 am

Wow now that is different!

Superb workman ship there. :clap:
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Re: a "model" of a different sort

Postby jim » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:54 pm

Beautiful workmanship, I watched a programme a while ago, Ray Mears building a Canadian birch bark canoe the traditional Indian way. truely beautiful craft seemed to be alive, so responsive on the water and not one man made thing in its construction the whole programme is on youtube, search, ray mears canoe. 59 minutes.
jim
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to The Model Show Case