Blackburn Botha

The Showcase, where you can display your best work.

The rule for this board. One model (or collection) per thread. Thread title should be the name of the model.

Blackburn Botha

Sponsor

Sponsor

Blackburn Botha

Postby 9JL » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:20 am

Built from a plan that appeared in 'Hobbies Weekly' 1941,model is built from scrap timber salvaged from a local joinery shop.

From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Blackburn Botha

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:12 pm

Nice work - it can't have been easy getting it to scale from solid wood.

Do I detect a wood turning lathe in your workshop ?
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 9JL » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:45 pm

Mark wrote:Nice work - it can't have been easy getting it to scale from solid wood.

Its a Dremel Mark,that is the table you can see there,my workshop is six miles from my home and I use a generator to supply the power,my workshop and models outgrew the home and took over !
My basic tools are a Bandsaw ( needs replacing ) a bench sander and that Dremel,plus an electric drill.
From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:43 pm

That's impressive for work done on a Dremmel. I could never get on with them myself. Either too weedy for heavy work, or too vicious for fine work. They never seemed to be the best tool for the job, but that's probably just me !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chill » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:49 am

I doft my cap to you sir for services in demonstrating on how to handle a dremmle.

A pint of the best stuff at the bar.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby 9JL » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:20 pm

Mark wrote:That's impressive for work done on a Dremmel. I could never get on with them myself. Either too weedy for heavy work, or too vicious for fine work. They never seemed to be the best tool for the job, but that's probably just me !

Mark I use the Dremel for smaller cuts and my bandsaw for the heavier wood,the Dremel would never cope with cutting thick timber but is useful for intricate work,many people cannot get on with them because unlike a bandsaw where the blade travels in one direction,the Dremel blade goes up and down thus can snatch at thin materials like ply,the best tool I had I ditched years ago due to lack of space it was a treadle driven fretsaw machine,ancient but very useful,when we moved house I had nowhere to put it so it went down the tip,regreted it ever since.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby 9JL » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Mark wrote:Nice work - it can't have been easy getting it to scale from solid wood.

I build from wood all of the time Mark,the wings are made from scrap pine which came from some shelving,the fuselage is an exotic wood tough as nails scrounged from a local joinery shop,when I get a moment will put more of my solids on for you to see the potential,all of m models are built from scrap reclaimed timber,skips provide a lot of good wood for my requirements.
Remember before CNC came in all plastic kits were first carved in wood,thats why I like the partworks as they are mostly wood,it has a good feel about it,the Lanc is a good example of a mixed media type kit.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby 9JL » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:26 pm

chill wrote:I doft my cap to you sir for services in demonstrating on how to handle a dremmle.

A pint of the best stuff at the bar.

Thank you Chill.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:48 pm

I remember my dad telling me that in the days before injection molded kits aircraft kits were simply blocks of wood (balsa ?) and a set of plans. I'm afraid that would be beyond me. I like working in wood, it's a nice warm material. However, I can't carve things from a solid block to save my life !! I do enjoy a bit of marquetry now and again though. My hat too, is doffed to you :)
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 9JL » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:00 am

Some old vintage solid kits from my collection,you got wood blanks rough cut to size,standard decal sheets,a bag of accessories which were very good as can be seen here,you just do not know how lucky we are for choice these days,these kits are too valuable and historic to build so I trace the parts sometimes and make replicas from them.

9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby 9JL » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:07 am

The Skybirds kits came out pre war circa 1932,they were designed by a young chap called James Hay Stevens who wrote for a pulp magazine called 'Air Stories' every month a free plan appeared to build a new model.

During WW2 kits were only available to members of the armd forces such as the Air Training corps,Royal Observer corps,RAF,RN.Army etc,you were not allowed to make models from new raw materials which were conserved for the war effort.

Postwar you see the Veron balsa wood kits shown in the picture,these were popular right up until Airfix came into being around 1953 when F.W.Woolworths stocked these then new plastic models,the rest is history ! building what we are today with the part works Lancaster would have been unheard of,a lot has happened since then.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby 9JL » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:08 am

Mark wrote:I remember my dad telling me that in the days before injection molded kits aircraft kits were simply blocks of wood (balsa ?) and a set of plans. I'm afraid that would be beyond me. I like working in wood, it's a nice warm material. However, I can't carve things from a solid block to save my life !! I do enjoy a bit of marquetry now and again though. My hat too, is doffed to you :)

Marquetry is a wonderful art form and quite tricky,you needs bags of patience for that one Mark.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby sws35 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:46 pm

These models, by chance, not those on which observers were taught to recognize the aircraft? With that was born and passion models-copies?

I heard about them but never seen, thanks 9JL
sws35
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:30 pm

That's a superb collection ! i'm green with envy !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 9JL » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:49 am

sws35 wrote:These models, by chance, not those on which observers were taught to recognize the aircraft? With that was born and passion models-copies?

I heard about them but never seen, thanks 9JL

Thats right,they were called ID Models,this stood for ident or identification models,both the Luftwaffe and the RAF used them in large numbers,imagine not knowing what was friend or foe ? as aircraft came over the coast it was important to recognise an invading Junkers Ju.88 from a Blenheim and so these models evolved.
A friend has just obtained a remarkable collection of original Luftwaffe gunnery models,these were shot down a long cable as the gunner aimed at them,all part of wartime training social history.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby 9JL » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:51 am

Mark wrote:That's a superb collection ! i'm green with envy !

Thank you Mark,they have taken a long time to gather together,my plans are to trace around all of the models in turn and make replicas.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to The Model Show Case