Recent models.

The Showcase, where you can display your best work.

The rule for this board. One model (or collection) per thread. Thread title should be the name of the model.

Recent models.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Recent models.

Postby 9JL » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:45 am

Although the Lanc build is firmly on hold I have not been idle,here are some recent scratch built models made from my own plans.
I build them up and primer them,then when the weather is suitable paint them up,I call them 'Greys' at this stage of the build.
Barry.

Short Shetland ,the largest aircraft in the world in 1948 ! how things have changed.

RE8 'Harry Tate'

Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

BE2C,all to 1=27th scale except the Shetland which is big enough at 1=72nd !

From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Recent models.

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:07 am

Your planes never cease to amaze me Barry.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 9JL » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:40 pm

You will like this one then Mark,a stablemate for the Red Baron Fokker Dr.1.
Thank you for your kind comments.
Barry.

Fokker D7 in 'Hells Angel's' markings.
From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Very nice indeed Barry.

The diorama makes it look like it's landed in Lilliput :lol:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Superb work Barry, you'd be a natural at building your own plank on frame scratch warship, excellent woodworking skills.
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby 9JL » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:09 am

Mark wrote:Very nice indeed Barry.

The diorama makes it look like it's landed in Lilliput :lol:

Yes Mark I wanted a quick background and sat it on one of the model railway layouts ! your description is spot on.
Barry.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby 9JL » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:10 am

Eric wrote:Superb work Barry, you'd be a natural at building your own plank on frame scratch warship, excellent woodworking skills.

Eric I love planking having done quite a few built up aircraft structures that way in years past,those warship models are superb.
Barry.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby morrigan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:58 am

Lovely workmanship. Can't beat a scratchbuilt model :)
The Shetland looks like a Sunderland on steroids!
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby 9JL » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:47 pm

A few more to share with you,all wooden scratchbuilt mostly from scrap timber that I scrounge from skips and sweepings from joinery places.
The Avro Lancaster was 11 foot wingspan,I never completed it and it went for a mere £90 on E-Bay,I panicked as we moved house several years ago and several larger models could not be packed properly,it went to A.V.Roe Printers somewhere in the Bristol area,perhaps someone has seen it hanging up in their area,it was going to be fitted with four MDS 49 engines and had two receivers one lot to operate flaps and engines the other main flying controls,two pilots would have flown it,one the flight engineer operating the flaps etc, to say that I regret selling it is an understatement,it took 5 years to this state and each wheel alone cost me £60 from America,as long as it continues to give someone pleasure thats fine.
Barry.

9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby mike » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:34 am

Your wood working skills are outstanding Barry
Have a K :D

mike
mike
Captain
Captain

Postby 9JL » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:00 pm

We are doing a long distance flight aircraft cook-up on the solid model memories site and I decided on one of my favourites as the subject,yes a Comper Swift done as VT-ADO/G-ACTF 'Scarlet Angel' as flown from Old Warden/Hooton Park to a tea plantation in India at Asam in 1936 by a certain Mr Ali,the adventure became a book called 'The Scarlet Angel' which has eluded me for over sixty years.
Having worked on this particular Comper Swift at Baginton it holds nostalgic memories for me,when I first started in aviation the Swift was stripped down and placed in a corner of the hangar where we used to have tea,the prop and various other parts were used to hang our coats and other items of clothing ! the scars of heavy landings and a hard life were there to see but I fell in love with this tiny aeroplane and have modelled it many times since,so my latest model needed a miniature Pobjoy to place up front,this item makes or breaks such a subject as the Comper Swift,here you see my rendering made from scrap bits and pieces today,note the intricate cooling fins and exhaust ring plus collector,and the tiny valve gear and pushrods and that distinctive propeller,bear in mind when you virew this picture that what you are seeing is a mere two inches diameter,all I have to do now is build the rest of the Comper Swift around this engine.
Materials used were split bamboo,toothpicks,barbecue sticks,Meccano cord for binding the cylinders,lite ply for the cooling fins,basswood for the propeller and a tiny turned spinner,the exhaust collector ring is heavy duty electric wire and the collectors are thick grade solder,once painted a silvery black colour the engine will start to come alive.
Barry.

9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:26 pm

Genious Barry - have a well deserved K. I can't wait to see the complete aircraft.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trev » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 am

Looks amazing

Have a K from me too !
Trev
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Exinferis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Really very nice work there. I've never been very good at scratch building, but it's nice to see what others can do. Look forward to seeing more of your work!

Have a "k" from a newbie. :)
www.planetoa.net - Collecting is a way of life!
Exinferis
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to The Model Show Case