Sponsor

Sponsor

Problems In South Africa

Postby Francois_Swart » Mon May 07, 2012 2:36 pm

So Ive been frustrated about not recieving my issues :angry-banghead:
Seems that the SA Post Office is to Blame:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sundaytimes/ ... -sapo-woes
The article reads:

"A three-month strike by contract workers at the South African Post Office (Sapo) in Gauteng has left it incapacitated, its outlets piled high with unsent mail and its depots trashed.

According to Sapo, mail turnover times are now about two weeks longer than usual. Areas most badly affected include the East Rand, northern parts of Johannesburg and the Vaal Triangle.

These are the latest of many problems for Sapo. It has gone through three CEOs in seven years. During the same period the Department of Communications has had four different ministers.

The last Post Office CEO, Motshoanetsi Lefoka, left in January following the uncovering of almost R450-million in irregular and fruitless expenditure.

Five years ago Lefoka, then still acting CEO, and Nick Buick, Sapo's chief financial director who is currently acting as CEO, were cleared of wrongdoing after being implicated in an investigation that led to the sacking of Lefoka's predecessor, Khutso Mampeule. The probe was instigated by then Communications Minister Ivy Matsepe-Casaburri.

Mampeule's dismissal was partly because he failed to inform the board of Sapo about a decision to lay criminal charges against his predecessor as CEO, Maanda Manyatshe, because of suspicions regarding a contract between Sapo and a design company.

Buick said in 2006 that Sapo had a goal of double-digit profit growth.

But financial results show this to be far from achieved. Financial results to March 2012 have not been released, but in the 2009-10 financial year net profit was down 18.3%.

Last year the Post Office boasted of a 3% increase in revenue to R5.8-billion. But it was in fact at the same level as revenue in 2008, reflecting an organisation unable to progress.

The 200-year-old parastatal has suffered a decline in traditional mail volumes for some years as more people rely on e-mail and cellphone communications.

In addition, the government has taken a decision not to subsidise rural post offices, a move that will cost Sapo close to R500-million a year by 2014. According to Buick, these offices might have to be closed down as it will not be economically viable to keep them open.

The prolonged strike only adds to the organisation's woes.

The striking workers are asking for permanent employment as some of them have been working for Sapo for more than a decade without receiving any benefits enjoyed by those in permanent positions.

Sapo spokesperson Khulani Qoma said two court interdicts had been granted against the striking workers as they have been intimidating and assaulting non-striking workers.

Workers said that a postman in Krugersdorp was killed, but Sapo could not confirm the rumour.

Qoma said the problem is that the organisation does not have formal positions available for these workers, or the budget to create them.

"This is quite a unique situation as more than 600 workers are looking to be permanently employed at the same time," he pointed out."

So now I'll have to think about whaT TO DO :(
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
Francois_Swart
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Problems In South Africa

Postby Mark » Mon May 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Damn ! That's not a good situation. I hope that they manage to sort things out soon.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Francois_Swart » Mon May 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Knowing the way our government works (the SAPO is government owned)... I'd say it wil take awhile.
Francois_Swart
Corporal
Corporal

Postby builder » Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 am

Francoiswill_Swart wrote:Knowing the way our government works (the SAPO is government owned)... I'd say it wil take awhile.

Let’s scream and cry together (about my dubbel issues 11 and 12: 55 days on the way by bottle through the North sea already!!!!
1652? Sun is shining, more information is coming up!
Building the DKM Bismarck and HMS Hood.
builder
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Francois_Swart » Tue May 08, 2012 10:12 am

That's great.

Thanx.

I did have a look at that site, has a lot more info than I could gather this side.

I do know there is a full-size replica of the Dromedaris at Santarama Mini Land in Wemmer Pan. I haven't been there in 20 years so I can't remember much of the trip.
Francois_Swart
Corporal
Corporal

Postby GrantJ » Fri May 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi Francois

There is an alternative way of getting your issues if you prepared to travel to Midrand - if you interested drop me a PM
So many models, so little time!

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Francois_Swart » Mon May 14, 2012 8:12 pm

So my missing issues turned up on friday afternoon... a Full 2months after I Subscribed.... The strike it seems is stil ongoing.

I guess the SAPO slogan is true afterall: "We deliver, whatever it takes" they did forget to add "albeit late"
Francois_Swart
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Francois_Swart » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:05 am

So the post office strike has been over for some time now, I have 7 issues (9-15) that are waiting to be done. I have not even had a chance to visit the forum the few past weeks, several business trips to China, Zambia, Malawi and Namibia have kept me occupied. Strange how work seems to get in the way of life sometimes.... Anyways I will be working on my Hood this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to update my build diary. I'm also curious to the progress of the other hoodies. Think I'll go have a quick look :D
Francois_Swart
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Delivery of issues