The Hood is dead

The Hood is dead

Sponsor

Sponsor

The Hood is dead

Postby Gundog » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:50 am

Well, after a long correspondence with the muppets :character-kermit: :character-cookiemonster: :character-grover: :character-oscar: at Jacklin, during which they effectively said it was my fault that my subscription for the final 40 issues I needed had failed to register in their system :angry-banghead: even though they quoted my subscriber number :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: it would appear that the Hood is finally dead. :(

Or is it? :o Hachette Germany have just started offering the Hood, albeit in a format that seems to be more like some of the DeAgostini subscriptions (batches of issues, online instructions etc.)

For those of us with incomplete sets, such as myself, this still isn't a huge help. There's no shop, so you can't buy individual issues or batches and we already know how difficult (impossible?) it is to get cross-border subscriptions. So I'll have to rely on occasional pick-ups from :twisted: Bay and hope that I can complete my collection before I pop my clogs :angelic-blueglow:

One thing seems fairly clear from what Jacklin's so-called customer service people wrote. If they can possibly help, they won't (I suggested that, as a loyal former subscriber to other partworks, they could help me out by getting what I needed from Hachette Germany) and the windows of opportunity for subscribing to some of their partworks are getting much smaller. They're cutting their costs by reducing subscription runs and making sure they don't have excess stock, so they don't need to maintain an online shop facility. Odd, really. An online shop costs almost nothing to maintain and effectively ensures that the excess stock is sold. Then there's the loss of the hard-copy instructions. No reduction in price of course for not having to do the printing themselves. I've not had the pleasure of an online instruction set, but I believe that some people have had the link go dead after a short while, so if you don't print them off immediately (your ink, your paper, your money) they're lost forever.

End of rant. I probably won't be subscribing to anything by Hachette in future. I'm not advocating a boycott, it's not my place, but caveat emptor.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Re: The Hood is dead

Postby number1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:26 pm

Sorry to hear your unable to get the rest of your issues, hope :twisted: bay comes up trumps
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gundog » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks number1. I've secured some of the missing stuff and I'm down to needing about 16 issues now, but 138 is apparently as rare as rocking-horse poo. There's a comment on a forum somewhere :whistle: that the Amati model is inaccurate and needs more anchors. The comment went viral and loads of people bought more copies of 138, which had (amongst other things) the anchors. :angry-banghead:

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby builder » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Do not despair Gundog.
It took three years before I had every issue at home in the Netherlands.
And within 2 years you can buy the German issues 100-140, so there´s hope after patience.
At this moment I am collecting the issues of Prince Eugen from Germany, 100 miles from my front door.
Issues 1-59 at home for now :D
I hope you have success with collecting the other 16 issues.
Building the DKM Bismarck and HMS Hood.
builder
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Sojourner » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:16 pm

Well, in fairness, I have to say that I have had nothing but good service from Jacklin/Hachette with both the full Flying Scotsman build and the current Mallard subscription. A few glitches with missing parts have been sorted quickly via email, and replacements sent.
Building: Hachette Flying Scotsman,Micromodels Old London Bridge, plus several others started.
Stash: Hachette Mallard, more Micromodels, loads of other stuff
Sojourner
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby casper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:20 pm

number1 wrote:Sorry to hear your unable to get the rest of your issues, hope :twisted: bay comes up trumps

some high number issues on flea-bay but no 138 Gundog
casp
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... d&_sacat=0
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby chill » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:43 pm

Shame the hood series has run into so many issues and problems.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Gundog » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:48 pm

Let's hope that the publishers watch fora such as this and learn from them. Having not yet built the model, I can only assume that the quality is good, so when I do get round to it, it's as enjoyable as I originally hoped.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby builder76 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Sorry to read that the availability of issues of the HMS Hood from Hatchette partworts seem to have run into problems.
When building my 1.16th Tiger I ordered lots of extra parts for an enhanced build,( eg metal tracks+ pins) . They were so obliging.
How just a few years down the line (2010-2013)plus cost cutting can diminish a companies reputation. :cry:
Hope those of you that need the missing parts will still manage to obtain them. :pray:
John
Life requires patience & understanding, as do hobbies.
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Return to Delivery of issues