Amusing Hobby Full interior Ferdinand and Strabokran

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:06 pm

Amusing Hobby's Latest release has made a lot of modellers sit up and take notice. They have provided a two model kit with full interior, their first one.

It is a bit confusing though, teaming up their recent release 16t Strabokran with a full interior Sd Kfz 184 Ferdinand. It has wowed this modeller though but I would have thought that releasing the full interior Ferdinand on its own would have been a nice add to the line of kits they also put in their Strabokran too. I already have this, but it is the full interior Ferdinand which the modeller really wants, the addition is useful if you are going to do a diorama.

It comes in quite a large box which has a divider to keep the kits separate and has two individual build instruction manuals and a painting guide etc. First of all, I would like to mention a couple of things which I did notice first off and not only applies to this two kit boxing and also the individual Strabokran release too.

Some parts are not in protective plastic or are given any protection at all. Mine came from Amusing Hobby themselves and although the kit box was carefully protected looked as if it had been used as a football by the idiots that carrier companies habitually employ to move around whilst on a break. This meant that a major piece of the kit, unprotected in any way inside the kit box suffered damage and some of the clear parts has been scratched too as a result. The rest of the kit survived ok but a part of the Etched fret has also suffered some damage too. It can be repaired and made good although the scratches on the clear exterior parts will not be easy to fix, most modellers will probably opt to paint those anyway!

In essence, it is a minor thing, but something that wasn't thought through and suffered at the hands of the shipping companies shop floor morons and Amusing Hobby would be wise to look again at their packaging.

A Ferdinand with full interior and it is a good one. The detail is magnificent with a rolled steel texture on the exterior being restrained so well that under paint it will look out of this world. Even my new camera doesn't do this detailing justice. The interior parts are flash free of what I have looked at but haven't used a magnifying glass. it is a mixture of plastic and etched parts with some incredible fine detailing with electric motors, generator, two engines, crew compartment, fighting compartment and a wonderfully detailed main gun with both plastic and metal barrel/muzzle brake option.

The only think that spoils this kit is the decision Amusing hobby took to mold the ammunition racks and ammunition together. this does limit some display options and also will be a headache to paint. It would have been a much better thing to actually mold those as separate parts which would have been so much easier for the modeller to deal with on both fixing and painting.

Let's start looking at the Ferdinand parts.

The fighting compartment tower and lower hull are separate parts and are totally unprotected in any way and you can see the damage to the tower. It is fixable with some glue. If this had been in plastic with some protective foam wrap the damage wouldn't have happened. The rolled steel texture is fantastic.

The lower hull is a sturdy bit of kit and again had no protection at all.

Here are the sprues for the Ferdinand with some close ups.

You can see the main gun ammunition molded to the racks. Painting nightmare and without major surgery or scratch building impossible to change for XXL metal shells and a nightmare to paint!

Something interesting here in this kit too. Individual tracks which according to the instruction book if you are careful with the glue, should work.

There's a lot of them. 2 bags full

2 sprues. despite being together in a plastic bag, some parts were knocked off in transit.

The clear sprue. this was in a plastic bag on its own, but some parts were scratched. some more protective padding is needed to protect these parts. they are really clear though.

Here's a surprise. Not only individual plastic tracks, but rubber band ones too! A Choice for the modeller. I can't decide if this is overkill or not!

That is mostly (but not all) the Ferdinand. Now we have a divider in the box...

Underneath, more parts. Strabokran and more!

Main gantry. a once piece molding and like the main bits of the Ferdinand and the original release boxing, not protected in any way.

Not sure if the separate piece has been broken off or not!

The tires are glue together affairs!

Etched fret for the Ferdinand.

Decal sheet for the Ferdinand. No stencil decals for the ammunition is a let down. it provides for vehicles from one unit, Operation Citadel.

Chan and decal for the Strabokran. No other manufacturers marks or data plates. Just that one.

rigging wire for the Strabo kran. I like this stuff. Much better than the Takom offering. where can I get it?

Ferdinand, copper wire, chain and springs for the suspension.

88mm L71 main gun in metal along with the muzzle brake in metal. Nice touch here.

Also a bit of paper with the build instructions for it

Amusing hobby have nailed their colour callouts to the Mig Ammo mast and provide some colour prints with dubious colours for both inside and out. This is to me the only major failing for this kit. This vehicle exterior should be Dunkelgelb Nach Muster with a green or multi colour disruptive camo over the top. There are plenty black and white photos of these from the Operation Citadel on the net, but don't get confused with the Elephant rebuilds used in Italy. This kit is specific to the Kursk offensive.

Equally, the interior colours is also a bit off and with a full interior they should have had colour call outs throughout the build manual like Zoukei-Mura do, but there is none in sight. So, builders need to go out onto the net and do their own research, but be careful and also look at the colours that contract suppliers used for the engines, electroc motors, generators etc. Not everything is black and white!

The Strabokran included is a previous kit and is a relatively easy build as it is not as complex as the Takom offering which has more working parts. This one is relatively static, but builds up to be a good representation of a much understated bit of field and factory equipment used by repair companies on Tiger I, II, Panther and V2 rocket units.

For a fist full interior release Amusing hobby has done an inspired choice which I think will be popular with builders and the inclusion of their Strabokran is a nice but unusual addition for the builder. The only let-down is the colour call outs and lack of other brands being included, these days you just can't be partisan, and some of the packaging needs looking at to avoid breakages. Also the molding of ammunition to racks at this level of detail is not a good decision at all as some builders would prefer to swap out for turned metal ammunition and the lack of main gun ammunition stencilsas well as interior stencils is a really glaring error. This can be corrected by AM decals, but will cost a bit to get enough to cover the total ammunition provided while interior stuff can be obtained from Archer Fine transfers.

However, if you overlook those and take a general view of this offering, it is a great kit and there will be some stunning builds done out there. Amusing Hobby should be congratulated on this release and if they do an Elephant with the added machineguns seen on the Italian front, they have the opportunity to fix the above things and take a great kit to absolutely outstanding rendition of this vehicle.

Let us hope that Amusing Hobby also bring us some more stuff like this.

Now the proof is in the building...… On we go!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Amusing Hobby Full interior Ferdinand and Strabokran

Postby steve131 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:18 pm

:dance: Very nice ,better than my Tamiya one by million .No zimmerit needed if its operation Zitadelle ,waiting to get some :angry-banghead: .Will be watching painting with much intrest .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:40 pm

My usual supplier on EBay has a very reasonable price for this including shipping. All you need is to start throwing change in a jar to save up!

Any news over Telford?
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:45 pm

Memsaab not put spanner in works yet ,but got two months yet :think: . Would love to save for this but magnifying light priority as production ground to standstill with these dark evening s.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Ok. the build is now progressing and I think that the result is going to look good.

I am not exactly working through the manual in order as I am jumping about a little bit to try and get the painting a little easier.

there is a lot of dry fitting in the following photos, but the base is all glued up with the electric drive and generators in place.

In order to try and produce the display options I want I have also partly assembled the main gun although I want some parts to be able to be removed and refitted to be able to open up this beast!

That's it for now, comments and questions welcome.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi James :) nice detailed job so far, can't wait to see the end result.
W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tigerace » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:27 pm

Great start :D seems a very nice kit :D
Built Bismark! building= Tigertank , Lancaster ,1/8 Delorean, Akagi and U96
tigerace
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby steve131 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:53 pm

This is fabulous ,jealous of the metal barrel.What colour did you spray the motors :?:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:30 am

Kit looks superb :mrgreen: great start :clap:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:30 pm

Here we go with another update.

There are more motors and drives in this thing than you would believe. there are two petrol engines and two electric generators that drive the motors. No wonder the thing was a fire hazard!

The generators are painted in RAL 7016 as are the motors at the rear. It is to my knowledge, a known colour for engines etc and the two petrol engines will be painted the same. They are under construction at this moment.

A lot of parts primed and ready for painting.

This is how the model looks before we start adding parts. Everything you see is now glued into place.

Driver and radio Operator compartment. Some parts are MIA after I knocked the parts container on the floor. If they turn up they can be painted and added!

Belt drives added to the generators and the firewall installed!

deck support and bracings added,

Dry fit of ammunition stowage. I still need to do some painting in this area before fixing those.

Lots of parts painted and ready to add

Still not sure what to do with the clear parts here. there are spare tracks to go on them along with fastenings, I may just bite the bullet and paint it as not much will be seen once those are fitted. The fit of this part is nice and tight so maybe a little easing on the sides and leave it as a removeable part.

cooling radiators assembled and painted. Just waiting for fitting. Xtreme metal Smoke used for the radiators and painted the valve control wheels with a red pen from Molotow. I think I will get a ultra fine point sharpie!

That is all for now. comments and questions welcome. This kit is going together really nicely. AH have done an outstanding job on this!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby casper » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:37 pm

coming along nicely James :clap:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Morris » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Awesome kit and clean crisp paint work, James! :clap:
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 finished
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 pm

:clap: Great work and great kit A H Strum Tiger next :think: .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:51 pm

I was thinking along the lines of getting that I-400 submarine from Japan built. There is a large overflowing box in the storeroom with it in and I could use the space!

I could enter it in the local show competition next February!

http://www.i-400.jp/home.html
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:27 am

Wow! The Ferdinand is coming on beautifully, James :clap:

It's weird timing, coz I was debating with myself about taking a break from planes and starting my stashed Gato class sub model kit. I haven't done one since the Skipjack and the Movie Seaview...now you mention the I-400 - it looks awesome. What scale is it?
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 finished
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 am

Scale is 1/100.

Length is 122cm. Height is 23 cm.

Internal detail areas will have to be primed and painted correct colours and to make them not look like plastic!

Sound, light and moving parts in this build. Should be fun! :laughing-rolling:
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Submarine would be cool ,saw couple of documentaries about great big of kit and you get three plane's with it.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Return to Military Vehicles